Friday, July 26, 2013

Friday Memes: SYLO by D. J. MacHale

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting SYLO by D. J. MacHale. My friend got me an autographed copy of this book at ALA. Here is the GoodReads description:
Does Tucker Pierce have what it takes to be a hero when the U.S. military quarantines his island?

Fourteen-year-old Tucker Pierce prefers to fly under the radar. He’s used to navigating around summer tourists in his hometown on idyllic Pemberwick Island, Maine. He’s content to sit on the sidelines as a backup player on the high school football team. And though his best friend Quinn tells him to “go for it,” he’s too chicken to ask Tori Sleeper on a date. There’s always tomorrow, he figures. Then Pemberwick Island is invaded by a mysterious branch of the U.S. military called SYLO. And sitting on the sidelines is no longer an option for Tucker, because tomorrow may never come. 

It’s up to Tucker, Quinn, and Tori to uncover the truth about the singing aircraft that appears only at night—and the stranger named Feit who’s pushing a red crystal he calls the Ruby that brings unique powers to all who take it. Tucker and his friends must rescue not just Pemberwick Island, but the fate of the world—and all before tomorrow is too late.  

#1 New York Times bestselling author D.J. MacHale brings his brilliant plotting and breathless pacing to SYLO, the first in this ultimate end-of-the-world adventure trilogy.
Beginning:
It was the perfect night for a football game.

And for death.
Friday 56:
Maybe Quinn was right. I was even afraid of failing...at failing. 

5 comments:

  1. Both of these statements has picqued my interest. I am joining in on the Friday 56 for the first time today you can see my choice here: http://meandu-justthinking.blogspot.ca/2013/07/the-friday-56.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good read. Enjoy! Here's my Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/07/friday-focus-friday-56-and-book_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting book beginning - I hope the book lives up to expectation. Happy reading !

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!