Saturday, October 26, 2013

ARC Review: Altered by Gennifer Albin

Altered
Author: Gennifer Albin
Publication: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (October 29, 2013)

Description: Deadly Secrets
Tangled Lies
Woven truths

Life. Possibility. Choice. All taken from Adelice by the Guild—until she took them back.

But amid the splendid ruins of Earth, Adelice discovers how dangerous freedom can be. Hunted by soulless Remnants sent by Cormac Patton and the Guild, Adelice finds a world that’s far from deserted. Although allies are easy to find on Earth, knowing who to trust isn’t. Because everyone has secrets, especially those Adelice loves most. Secrets they would kill to protect. Secrets that will redefine each of them. Torn between two brothers and two worlds, Adelice must choose what to fight for.


Altered is Gennifer Albin's thrilling sequel to Crewel. Adelice is about to learn how tangled up her past and future really are. Her parents ran to protect her, but nothing can save her from her destiny, and once she uncovers the truth, it will change everything.

My Thoughts: ALTERED is the sequel to CREWEL and, apparently, the middle book in a trilogy. I found that this one was not as interesting or exciting as the first book. I think part of my problem was that I read the first book so long ago that I no longer remember the details and the relationships among the characters. I felt that many of the events were filled with undercurrents that I missed because I didn't remember the first book.

The story begins with Adelice, Jost and Erik arriving on Earth. They quickly learn that Earth was not abandoned as they had been taught. It has a number of refugees and a number of other people who were left behind when Arras was formed. They also learn that there is a small underground determined to separate Arras from Earth.

They quickly fall under the influence of Kincaid who controls the solar collection and, thus, the possibility of survival for those still on Earth. They learn the Kincaid himself is in exile from Arras and that he wants to cut the connection with Arras to get revenge. Kincaid wants Adelice because she has skills that will help him accomplish this goal.

Adelice struggles with her role regarding Earth and Arras. She doesn't want the responsibility of making these tough decisions. She also learns something new about her family. She also has troubles in her relationships with Jost and Erik - brothers who don't get along. 

Fans of CREWEL will probably want to continue this story. They should be prepared for lots of talking, an indecisive main character, and not very much action. 

Favorite Quote:
"Words," Erik says.

Of course he's right. The books in my parents' cubby. I'd boasted of reading them, but I never considered why they were contraband. Words can tell a story. But they can also convey an idea.

"Words are dangerous," I say.

Erik nods.

"But they're also beautiful," I say, holding the book out to him. "You said so yourself. How can the Guild turn their backs on poetry?"
I got this ARC from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group. You can buy your copy here

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!