Friday, October 18, 2013

Friday Memes: The Cutting Room Floor by Dawn Klehr

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting The Cutting Room Floor by Dawn Klehr. I got this ARC at ALA. I have been hearing good things about this mystery. Here is the description:
EXT. THE FROSTS’ FRONT PORCH - NIGHT

The camera moves in on RILEY FROST, a beautiful 17-year-old girl with long dark hair, crying on the porch step.

RILEY (voiceover)


The gossip has spread far and wide. My secret girlfriend publicly dumped and outed me at the same time, and now I’m on social death row. But that’s not the worst of it. My favorite teacher, Ms. Dunn, was murdered at school. Now I’m beginning to feel like I’m trapped in a whodunit movie. And I can’t help thinking that Ms. Dunn’s killer is close by.

CUT TO:


CLOSE UP: DESMOND BRANDT


DEZ, a handsome 17-year-old boy, peers through  his window at RILEY.

DEZ (voiceover)


I do this a lot—watch my life through the eyes of a director. I want to be that one person in charge. I wish I didn’t crave control. But I do . . . badly. And though I might not be able to control Riley, I can help get her to where she needs to be. Convince. Persuade. Protect. I’ll make Riley love me, even if it means I have to play the villain.
Beginning:
If my life were a movie, this would be the opening scene: a guy and his friend at the mall food court waiting for their dates to get back from the bathroom.
Friday 56:
This year, our story is badass—a seven-minute short about an outcast girl's journey to popularity.

3 comments:

  1. It would be fun to read a book written in this format -- as if a character were writing his life as a movie. (The synopsis reminds me of the movie "The Holiday" with Carmen Diaz and Kate Winslet.)
    Here's My Friday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting cover. I look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good.....cover is quite interesting.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!