Saturday, December 7, 2013

ARC Review: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner

These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman, Megan Spooner
Publication: Disney-Hyperion (December 10, 2013)

Description: It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they're worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.


My Thoughts: THESE BROKEN STARS was a book I just couldn't put down. I was immediately intrigued about a story of the daughter of the richest man in the universe and the simple soldier who was also a war hero. Their first meeting on the massive ship Icarus built and owned by her father certainly wasn't auspicious. Well, actually their first meeting was - eyes meeting across a crowded room, kind of thing. It was the second meeting that went wrong. In order to protect Tarver from any actions her father might instigate, she rather brutally rebuffs his attempt to get to know her. He goes away convinced that she is a heartless human.

They next meet again when the Icarus suffers an accident and they need to make their way to a lifeboat. They end up in the same crew lifeboat where she is the one who finds a way to get the lifeboat away from the Icarus. They crash land on a terraformed planet that is strangely empty. They are apparently the only survivors of the accident. As a matter of fact, they see the Icarus come down on the planet.

The two of them have to survive though both are injured in the crash. They also have to make their way to the larger crash site so that, when rescuers finally arrive, they will be found. The descriptions of their journey were fascinating as was their slowly growing friendship. Then the friendship turned to love. 

Besides the difficult journey, things get more complicated as they try to understand why the planet is deserted. And even more complicated when Lilac starts hearing voices. Is she hallucinating because of head injuries or is something really out there?

I liked that the chapters alternated between Tarver's and Lilac's points of view. I also really liked the short interregnums between the chapters that recounted the "interview" that Tarver was undergoing after they were finally rescued. 

I can't wait to read books 2 and 3 in this wonderful, well-written science fiction romance.

Favorite Quote:
The anger is a shield, and if I relinquish it, I'll shatter.

A tiny piece of me wonders if he knows that. On the ship he was out of his element, awkward and almost tentative. Here, he's certain. Everything he does has a purpose. Maybe some part of him is deliberately goading me, keeping me strong.

Or maybe he's just an ass.
I got this ARC at ALA. You can buy your copy here.

2 comments:

  1. I just started reading this (they just crashed on the planet) and I like it so far. I am glad you enjoyed it. I haven't read a lot of YA science fiction and at first I thought maybe this book would be like Across the Universe but I like that it is different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been eyeing this since everyone else is reading it, and that cover is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!