Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Teaser Tuesday: Grandmaster by David Klass

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Teaser:
When a girl can look beautiful streaked with pond scum, you know she's dangerous.
This week my teaser comes from Grandmaster by David Klass. I got this ARC from Macmillan Children's Publishing Group. I chose it because I used to play chess. Here is the description of this Feb. 25 release:
Freshman Daniel Pratzer gets a chance to prove himself when the chess team invites him and his father to a weekend-long parent-child tournament. Daniel, thinking that his father is a novice, can’t understand why his teammates want so badly for them to participate. Then he finds out the truth: as a teen, his father was one of the most promising young players in America, but the pressures of the game pushed him too far, and he had to give up chess to save his own life and sanity. Now, thirty years later, Mr. Pratzer returns to the game to face down an old competitor and the same dark demons that lurk in the corners of a mind stretched by the demands of the game. Daniel was looking for acceptance—but the secrets he uncovers about his father will force him to make some surprising moves himself, in Grandmaster by David Klass.

9 comments:

  1. I don't play chess but it sounds like a good book weather you play or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the teaser, but the book doesn't sound like one I would read. I hope you really enjoy it!
    Laura@Through Razzberry Colored Glasses

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover! That teaser sounds sweet, and the story is intriguing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser! That blurb makes playing chess sound very ominous! Apparently it's not child's play! :) Thanks for visiting me today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I love the teaser! Sounds like it's going to be an interesting read! I hope you enjoy it, and thanks for stopping by my TT @ Addicted Readers! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!