Friday, March 28, 2014

Friday Memes: Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira. I got this ARC from Macmillan. The book will be released on April 1. Here is the description:
It begins as an assignment for English class: Write a letter to a dead person. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain because her sister, May, loved him. And he died young, just like May did. Soon, Laurel has a notebook full of letters to people like Janis Joplin, Amy Winehouse, Amelia Earhart, Heath Ledger, and more -- though she never gives a single one of them to her teacher. She writes about starting high school, navigating new friendships, falling in love for the first time, learning to live with her splintering family. And, finally, about the abuse she suffered while May was supposed to be looking out for her. Only then, once Laurel has written down the truth about what happened to herself, can she truly begin to accept what happened to May. And only when Laurel has begun to see her sister as the person she was -- lovely and amazing and deeply flawed -- can she begin to discover her own path.
Beginning:
Dear Kurt Cobain,
Mrs. Buster gave us our first assignment in English today, to write a letter to a dead person. As if the letter could reach you in heaven, or at the post office for ghosts. 
Friday 56:
My sister was a bit like you were as a little girl. She was the bright spark of the family, the one who everyone relied on to shine, the one who tried to keep everyone from fighting.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing book. The cover is great too. I hadn't heard about this one until now, so thanks for sharing.

    You can find my Friday 56 at http://www.thebusymomsdaily.com/2014/03/the-friday-56-week-171.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing to a dead Kurt Cobain... cool!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm putting this on my Goodreads TBR List. I would love to read the letters. I like the assignment, and I like how the character continues to write to famous deceased folks although the assignment is long over.

    Linking from Freda's Voice,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!