Friday, March 21, 2014

Friday Memes: The Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting The Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson. I got this ARC at ALA last June and have been saving it to read until it was closer to publication date. Here is the description of this March 25 release:
Fans of The City of Ember will love The Mark of the Dragonfly, an adventure story set in a magical world that is both exciting and dangerous.

Piper has never seen the Mark of the Dragonfly until she finds the girl amid the wreckage of a caravan in the Meteor Fields.

The girl doesn't remember a thing about her life, but the intricate tattoo on her arm is proof that she's from the Dragonfly Territories and that she's protected by the king. Which means a reward for Piper if she can get the girl home.

The one sure way to the Territories is the 401, a great old beauty of a train. But a ticket costs more coin than Piper could make in a year. And stowing away is a difficult prospect--everyone knows that getting past the peculiar green-eyed boy who stands guard is nearly impossible.

Life for Piper just turned dangerous. A little bit magical. And very exciting, if she can manage to survive the journey.
Beginning:
Micah brought the music box to her on the night of the meteor storm. Piper never slept on those nights, when debris from other worlds fell from the sky.
Friday 56: 
Many of the scrappers were nomads by nature, and superstitious. If they didn't have any luck scavenging in their first few months in a scrap town, they moved on to the next one.

8 comments:

  1. The beginning is sweet. My co-blogger Jax read this and her review is up tomorrow. I might have to check this one out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my TBR pile. Don't know that I will get to it before it is published but do want to read it. Here is my post: Mixed Book Bag

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sound like an intriguing book even though I do not generally read this genre. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds magical. I'll have to put it on my TBR list. Thank you for sharing. You can find my Friday post here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the author's description in the opening - "debris from other worlds." This sounds like a good story.
    My Friday excerpts are from a short story this week: INTERCEPTION.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hadn't heard of this one, but I am a fan of The City of Ember, so may have to look it up!
    Check out my Friday 56.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this sounds like my kind of book.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!