Wednesday, April 30, 2014

ARC Review: Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

Since You've Been Gone
Author: Morgan Matson
Publication: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (May 6, 2014)

Description: Emily is about to take some risks and have the most unexpected summer ever in this new novel from the bestselling author of Second Chance Summer and Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour.

Before Sloane, Emily didn’t go to parties, she barely talked to guys, and she didn’t do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—someone who yanks you out of your shell.

But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just…disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list with thirteen bizarre tasks that Emily would never try. But what if they can lead her to Sloane?

Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not?

Kiss a stranger? Wait…what?

Getting through Sloane’s list will mean a lot of firsts, and with a whole summer ahead of her—and with the unexpected help of the handsome Frank Porter—who knows what she’ll find.

Go Skinny Dipping? Um…

My Thoughts: Emily's summer plans are all thrown into disarray when her friend Sloane disappears. Emily is used to being known as Sloane's friend. Following in Sloane's wake lets her take part without having to put herself out there. Sloane is the brave one, the one who can make every day seem filled with excitement. Sloane and Emily have been friends since ninth grade.

Shortly after Sloane's disappearance, Emily gets a letter from her which gives her a list of things to do. They had exchanged such lists before. But before, the lists always ended with instructions to find the other and tell them about the adventures. Emily decides to complete Sloane's list in the hopes that it will tell her something about where Sloane went.

Emily never expected to find herself and her courage by doing so many things that scared her. From kissing a stranger to dancing all night, Emily has an action-packed summer. She also gets to know Frank Porter along the way. Frank is the All-American, class president, over-achiever from their high school. Emily didn't think he even knew her name. She also makes friends with the girl who works at the pizza place next to where she has her summer job and Frank's best buddy Collins too. The four of them spend the summer hanging out and checking off the items on Emily's list.

This was a fast-paced wonderful story about growing up and learning who you are. I loved watching Emily face her fears and learn to face the world without Sloane breaking the trail for her. It was a great story about friendships old and new. I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful story.

Favorite Quote:
I knew he meant Sloane. "Yeah," I said. I thought about telling him how it sometimes felt like I was only half there, without Sloane to talk to about what I was experiencing. How it felt like someone had chopped off my arm, and then for good measure taken my ID and sense of direction. How it was like I had no idea who I was, or where I was going, coupled with the fact that there was a piece of me missing that never seemed to stop hurting, never letting me forget, always reminding me I wasn't whole. But instead, I just looked at him, somehow understanding that he knew exactly what it was like to feel these things. "I do,."
I got this ARC through Amazon Vine. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. ohh.....another good book for summer time reading! Thank you. ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!