Monday, April 28, 2014

State of the Stack (April 28, 2014)

This is my monthly State of the Stack post. It is my way to keep track of my review books and to hopefully reduce the stack that I have waiting for me. I take a look at my review commitments on the last Monday of each month. Please feel free to join in and let me know the state of your stack.

Here is my Review Books Spreadsheet. Yellow highlighted books are ones past their publication date that I still haven't read and reviewed. I use pink highlights for reviews due in even numbered months so that I can see at a glance how many I have for each month. Ideally, this keeps me from over-committing to review books.  


I also do this post because sometimes (frequently) review books sit on my stack for a while before I read and review them. I try to read and review books within two weeks of publication date. Sometimes I can't, though, if too many books are releasing on the same date or if the book arrives too near its publication date and my calendar is already full. 

I am very grateful to the authors and publishers who support my reading habit. 

My Review Pile

Here are the books that are on my review stack in order of their release dates which are listed in parentheses. Links go to Amazon.

Past Release Date 
The first two were offered so that I could read a whole trilogy and arrived just this past week. The most recent book is going to be a May release. The Garden of Stones by Mark T. Barnes (5/21/2013) and The Obsidian Heart by Mark T. Barnes  (10/15/2013) are the first two books in the Echoes of Empire trilogy.

Heaven's Queen by Rachel Bach was released on April 22 and I got my eARC from Orbit on April 23. I hope to read this one at the end of May or in early June. It is the third book in this series and I still have to read book 2.

Mostly May
Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris (May 6) is an Amazon Vine pick that just arrived.
Risky Game by Tracy Solheim (May 6) was sent to me by the author because I wrote nice things about an earlier book in this series.
Caged Warrior by Alan Lawrence Sitomer (May 13) was a NetGalley pick.
Mila 2.0: Renegade by Debra Driza (May 13) was a Edelweiss pick.
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart (May 13) came from NetGalley.
Broken Hearts, Fences, and Other Things to Mend by Katie Finn (May 13) came from Macmillan.
Second Star by Alyssa B. Sheinmel (May 13) came from Macmillan too.
The Pillars of Sand by Mark T. Barnes (May 20) came from Amazon Publishing. 
The Summer Invitation by Charlotte Silver (May 20) came from Macmillan.
I Kill the Mockingbird by Paul Acampora (May 20) also came from Macmillan.
I first got The Lost by Sarah Beth Durst (May 27) from NetGalley but also got an ARC in the mail from Harlequin MIRA.
The Cursed by Heather Graham (May 27) was a NetGalley pick.
The Girl with the Windup Heart by Kady Cross (May 27) was a NetGalley pick.
Blur by Steven James (May 27) came from NetGalley too.
Vivian Divine Is Dead by Lauren Sabel (June 3) came from Edelweiss.

June/July
The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu (June 3) came to me from Macmillan.
On the Road to Find Out by Rachel Toor (June 10) also came from Macmillan.
Hexed by Michelle Krys (June 10) was NetGalley find.
Dark Metropolis by Jaclyn Dolamore (June 17) was also a NetGalley find.
The Quick by Lauren Owen (June 17) was a LibraryThing win.
The Body in the Woods by April Henry (June 17) came from Macmillan.
The Things You Kiss Goodbye by Leslie Connor (June 24) was and Edelweiss find.
The Vanishing Season by Jodi Lynn Anderson (July 1) also came from Edelweiss.
On the Fence by Kasie West (July 1) came from Edelweiss too.
Wild by Alex Mallory (July 8) was also an Edelweiss find.
The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson (July 15) came from Macmillan.
Shipwreck Island by S. A. Bodeen (July 29) came from Macmillan too.

Way Out There
Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper (Sept. 23) was an Edelweiss find.
The Diamond Thief by Sharon Gosling (Oct. 1) was a NetGalley find. 

I Read This Month

These are listed in the order I read them. Links go to my reviews for all that have been posted already. Otherwise, the date the review is scheduled for is listed.
  1. Sekret by Lindsey Smith
  2. Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong
  3. The Chance by Robyn Carr
  4. House of Ivy & Sorrow by Natalie Whipple
  5. Otherwise Engaged by Amanda Quick
  6. Panic by Lauren Oliver
  7. The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa
  8. The Islands of Chaldea by Diana Wynne Jones
  9. Project Paper Doll: The Hunt by Stacey Kade
  10. The Taking by Kimberly Derting
  11. The Wizard's Promise by Cassandra Rose Clarke 
  12. Nick and Tesla's Secret Agent Gadget Battle by Bob Pflugfelder and Steve Hockensmith
  13. A Creature of Moonlight by Rebecca Hahn (May 1)
  14. Royally Lost by Angie Stanton (May 1)
  15. The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen (July 5)
  16. Monument 14: Savage Drift by Emmy Laybourne (May 3)
  17. The Falconer by Elizabeth May (May 3)
Other Reviews Posted in April
  1. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson (April 30)
  2. Notorious by Allison Brennan (April 3)
  3. Plus One by Elizabeth Fama (April 3)
I Added These Books

These are listed in the order I received them. Links go to Amazon. Date published is listed in parentheses.
  1. The Lost by Sarah Beth Durst (May 27)
  2. Nick and Tesla's Secret Agent Gadget Battle by Bob Pflugfelder and Steve Hockensmith (May 6)
  3. Panic by Lauren Oliver (March 4)
  4. The Falconer by Elizabeth May (May 6)
  5. The Garden of Stones by Mark T. Barnes (May 21, 2013)
  6. The Obsidian Heart by Mark T. Barnes (Oct. 15, 2013)
  7. The Pillars of Sand by Mark T. Barnes (May 20, 2014)
  8. Heaven's Queen by Rachel Bach (April 22)
  9. Risky Business by Tracy Solheim (May 6)
  10. Heaven's Queen by Rachel Bach (April 22)
  11. Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris (May 6)
Next Month's Plan

I need to keep reading all of my May releases and I need to stop accepting any more review books! May is one of the busiest months of the school and I have promised to read 14 more May releases. I have already read and scheduled reviews for 6.

How are you doing with your review books?

1 comment:

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!