Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Teaser Tuesday: Caged Warrior by Alan Lawrence Sitomer

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Teaser:
When I was nine I pulled off my first flying arm bar and snapped an opponent's elbow at the joint like a crispy fried chicken wing.
This week my teaser comes from Caged Warrior by Alan Lawrence Sitomer. I got this eARC from Edelweiss. Here is the description of this May 13 release:
McCutcheon Daniels' life is full of bone-cracking violence. As a star fighter in the gritty underground Mixed Martial Arts circuit in the poorest section of Detroit, McCutcheon fights under the tutelage of his volatile and violent father, not so much for himself but to survive as protector of his beloved five-year old sister, Gemma. We get to know McCutcheon as he battles opponents who are literally trying to kill him. Mr. Freedman, his science teacher, spots his intellectual potential, befriends him, and encourages him to enter the lottery for a scholarship to an elite charter school so he can obtain a first-class education. He is at first dead-set against the idea, and of course his tyrannical father forbids it. But the school's headmaster, Kaitlyn, a student assigned to be his guide, and Mr. Freedman continue to encourage him to consider it.

His father and the Priests, the local Mafia-like crew that run Detroit's organized crime, have other plans for McCutcheon. For them, he is simply a tool to make them money. And when that cash flow is threatened, his father hits McCutcheon where it hurts most-he hides Gemma and threatens his own son that he'll never see his beloved sister again if he doesn't play by the Priests' rules.

For the first time in his life, McCutcheon reaches out for help. Mr. Freedman turns out to have a very mysterious past and not only helps McCutcheon find his sister but also his mother who had simply disappeared on McCutcheon's 13th birthday. All seems well, but happy endings aren't really something McCutcheon feels he can rely on. And he may be right.

A ferocious novel, Caged Warrior is like a great fight movie, a tour-de-force of relentless conflict, but one that is leavened with rich characters and meaningful and loving relationships.

13 comments:

  1. I'm not quite sure this is the book for me! But I hope you enjoy it :) Thanks for stopping by!
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think this one is for me, but I hope you like it!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! Love the violent and graphic nature to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lots going on in this one. I like fast action and some mystery. Thanks for sharing and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh! I got an email from Netgalley about this. I should have accepted it. Sounds good, thanks for sharing and stopping by the blog earlier! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds a bit gruesome for me but it certainly sets the scene. Thanks for the visit earlier
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the teaser. Sounds a bit violent for me, but I really enjoyed a mafia novel I read recently. Maybe I've found a new genre! Thanks for haring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nooo! Broken elbow, yuck! Sounds like an interesting book, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome teaser! Hope you enjoy. Thanks for stopping by my site.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this sounds like a very intriguing read!! I'm keeping this one in mind for when it releases!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds intense and I'm not sure I could make it through. can't wait to read your review !sheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting..teaser. I am curious about the book though seems a bit violent.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!