Friday, June 6, 2014

Friday Memes: On the Road to Find Out by Ruth Toor

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


This week I am spotlighting On the Road to Find Out by Ruth Toor. I got this ARC from Macmillan. Here is the description of this June 10 release:
On New Year’s Day, Alice Davis goes for a run. Her first ever. It’s painful and embarrassing, but so was getting denied by the only college she cares about. Alice knows she has to stop sitting around and complaining to her best friend, Jenni, and her pet rat, Walter, about what a loser she is. But what doesn’t know is that by taking those first steps out the door, she is setting off down a road filled with new challenges—including vicious side stitches, chafing in unmentionable places, and race-paced first love—and strengthening herself to endure when the going suddenly gets tougher than she ever imagined, in On the Road to Find Out  by Rachel Toor.
Beginning:
I pumped  my arms and covered ground with almost no effort. I was Superman. I was Nike—not the shoe company, but the winged goddess of victory. 
Friday 56:
"There might be tricks you could learn."

"I'm not a dancing elephant. I don't want to do tricks. I want to do it my way. By learning shit."

"Alice."

"What?"

"Can't you ever just be easy?"

10 comments:

  1. Easy things aren't the things you should be chasing! This actually sounds like a book I'd really enjoy this summer! Although I'm not really going to a beach, this is definitely a beach read! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great weekend!
    My BB
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to know her reaction to the question: Can't you ever just be easy? Thank you for sharing.
    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking that question. It's actually the crux of the book--how to do hard things but to learn not to get in your own way. Something, by the way, the author is still working on.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful Beginning and great 56!!

    Here is my Book Beginning post!!

    AND

    Here is my Friday 56 post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good opening. I like the reference to Nike (the goddess). It relates perfectly to running and tells us a little bit about the character's mind. I also like "Can't you ever be easy?" I like that character already!
    My Friday post is here: WALLS FOR THE WIND.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of this one particularly how she specifies that it's the goddess and not the shoe company. This wouldn't be one I'd necessarily pick up on the blurb alone but the excerpts definitely have me intrigued. I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good, in a real sort of way.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Can't you ever just be easy?" - That would raise my hackles; I wonder what her response is? I probably wouldn't pick this up based on teh cover and the blurb doesn't grab me but the teasers do. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear it's pretty gut wrenching not to get in the college you would to get in. Ummmm, a little surprised about her friend, Walter. May I say a nice yuck?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!