Friday, June 20, 2014

Friday Memes: The Things You Kiss Goodbye by Leslie Connor

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


This week I am spotlighting The Things You Kiss Goodbye by Leslie Connor. I got this eARC from Edelweiss. Here is the description of this June 24 release:
Fans of Sarah Dessen will love this heartbreaking story about family, loss, and the joys and disappointments of first love.
Bettina Vasilis can hardly believe it when star basketball player Brady Cullen convinces her strict father to let them date. That summer, Bettina falls in love with Brady and the freedom that comes along with him. But when school starts up again, Brady unexpectedly changes for the worse. Unable to give up on her first love just yet, she finds herself trapped in an abusive relationship.

Then she meets "Cowboy," a smoldering older guy and the last guy her father would approve. Yet he is everything Brady is not—gentle, caring, and interested in getting to know the real Bettina. When tragedy strikes, Bettina must tell her family the truth—and kiss goodbye the things she thought she knew about herself and the men in her life.
Beginning:
The night I cut off my hair, my mother told my father to leave.That's when it hit me. I'd reached the mud at the bottom of the pond. The scissors making it through my braid was just the landing.
Friday 56:
"Shh! You bad little boys!" I had hissed at them. I thumped my finger off my lip. "Shut the window!" The window had sucked closed and I'd faced it just long enough to see two plaid pajama butts pressed up against the glass. I'd marched away, snorting with laughter.

5 comments:

  1. I love the 56! I've lived through that myself. Those times when you have to fuss at them but really really like laughing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'd faced it just long enough to see two plaid pajama butts pressed up against the glass. I'd marched away, snorting with laughter."

    Ha ha! Thanks for the laugh :) I love YA genre, I will certainly look into this; thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend!

    Sparrow's BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  3. That beginning is pretty powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely intrigued.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Children, little guys, will make you snort. I'll bet they did look cute.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!