Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Book Review: Death and the Girl Next Door by Darynda Jones

Death and the Girl Next Door
Author: Darynda Jones
Series: Darklight (Book 1)
Publication: St. Martin's Griffin (October 2, 2012)

Description: Darynda Jones, author of The New York Times bestselling series that began with First Grave on the Right,  brings us Death and the Girl Next Door, a thrilling Young Adult novel garnering high praise and early buzz from major authors

Ten years ago, Lorelei's parents disappeared without a trace.  Raised by her grandparents and leaning on the support of her best friends, Lorelei is finally beginning to accept the fact that her parents are never coming home.  For Lorelei, life goes on.

High school is not quite as painful as she thinks it will be, and things are as normal as they can be.  Until the day the school's designated loner, Cameron Lusk, begins to stalk her, turning up where she least expects it,  standing outside her house in the dark, night after night.  Things get even more complicated when a new guy—terrifying, tough, sexy Jared Kovach—comes to school.  Cameron and Jared instantly despise each other and Lorelei seems to be the reason for their animosity.  What does Jared know about her parents?  Why does Cameron tell Jared he can't have Lorelei?  And what will any of them do when Death comes knocking for real?  Thrilling, sassy, sexy, and inventive, Darynda Jones's first foray into the world of teens will leave readers eager for the next installment.

My Thoughts: I enjoyed Darynda Jones' first venture into YA fiction. The characters made the story for me. Lorelei has a unique and funny voice. Her interactions with her best friends Brooke and Glitch were both funny and strong illustrations of the love and friendship between them.

The story begins when the school's designated loner Cameron Lusk starts stalking Lorelei. Naturally, the friends debate and decide what they should do about it. When a new boy arrives at the school the tensions between Cameron and Jared escalate. Lorelei is immediately drawn to the new guy especially since she has already seen him a in vision fighting monsters.

When Jared saves Lorelei from being killed by a hit and run driver, the course of history changes. Jared is better known as Azrael, the Angel of Death, and he was sent to cause her death, not prevent it. However, something about her, draws him and makes him give up what he should do to preserve her life.

The story gets more complex as Lorelei learns some of the secrets of her past and learns the things her grandparents have been keeping from her. This is the beginning book in a series and is a very promising start.

Favorite Quote:
I blinked and forced myself back to the present, forced myself to calm. Stepping back into the hall, I glanced around in search of the dark-headed boy, to no avail. Disappointment washed over me. For one thing, I wanted a better look. For another, I wanted a better look. The first was for obvious girl reasons. Those arms. That jaw. Who could blame me? The second was because of what I'd just seen. Surely my vision was metaphorical in some way. Scorched clouds in violet skies didn't exist. And thankfully, neither did that beast.
I bought this one on Dec. 18, 2012. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!