Saturday, August 2, 2014

ARC Review: Mortal Danger by Ann Aguirre

Mortal Danger
Author: Ann Aguirre
Series: The Immortal Game (Book 1)
Publication: Feiwel & Friends (August 5, 2014)

Description: Revenge is a dish best served cold.

In Ann Aguirre' Mortal Danger, Edie Kramer has a score to settle with the beautiful people at Blackbriar Academy. Their cruelty drove her to the brink of despair, and four months ago, she couldn’t imagine being strong enough to face her senior year. But thanks to a Faustian compact with the enigmatic Kian, she has the power to make the bullies pay. She’s not supposed to think about Kian once the deal is done, but devastating pain burns behind his unearthly beauty, and he’s impossible to forget.

In one short summer, her entire life changes and she sweeps through Blackbriar, prepped to take the beautiful people down from the inside. A whisper here, a look there, and suddenly . . . bad things are happening. It’s a head rush, seeing her tormentors get what they deserve, but things that seem too good to be true usually are, and soon, the pranks and payback turns from delicious to deadly. Edie is alone in a world teeming with secrets and fiends lurking in the shadows. In this murky morass of devil’s bargains, she isn't sure who—or what—she can trust. Not even her own mind.

My Thoughts: The story begins with Edie Kramer on the verge of suicide. The massive bullying that she has endured at the hands of the Teflon people at her school has driven her to this desperate solution. When she is saved by a beautiful boy names Kian and offered a bargain, she accepts which makes her part of a game played by immortals.

The story introduces all sorts of creatures out of nightmare who have some sort of stake in this game. Edie has to figure out her role in the game while protecting those she loves. Her first favor asks that she be made over into her best self so that she can get revenge on the beautiful people who tormented her. Becoming one of the beautiful people shows her that there is much more to them than their cruel and beautiful outsides.

Edie also falls in love with Kian even though she isn't sure that she can trust him. Trust is hard to come by for a girl who was so abused and betrayed by others. They do become closer as she learns Kian's story and learns the choices he has made.

I really liked Edie. Despite her ill treatment, it didn't turn her into someone only bent on revenge. She could still make friends and love. Because she is also very smart, I really hope that she will find some way to turn this game to her advantage and can't wait to read the sequel to find out if she does.

I found this story to be excellent and a compelling book that I am eager to share with my students.

Favorite Quote:
I need to do something. This can't continue.

Briefly, I considered the solution I'd chosen before, but I couldn't even complete the thought. I want to live. Maybe it's wrong, but I just can't. Not now. A true heroine wouldn't hesitate to give her life for someone else, but I wasn't painted with that stripe. Just as I'd come to the place out of weakness, now that my life was good, I couldn't throw it away, even to save people.
I got this ARC from Macmillan. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!