Friday, October 10, 2014

Friday Memes: Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


This week I am spotlighting Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot. I got this eARC from Edelweiss. I chose it because I am trying to read more contemporary YAs. Here is the description of this October 14 release:
The Great Gatsby meets Looking for Alaska in this stunning debut novel.

When Julia Buchanan enrolls at St. Anne's at the beginning of junior year, Charlotte Ryder already knows all about her. Most people do . . . or think they do. Charlotte certainly never expects she'll be Julia's friend. But almost immediately, she dives headfirst into the larger-than-life new girl's world—a world of midnight rendezvous, dazzling parties, palatial vacation homes, and fizzy champagne cocktails. And then Charlotte meets, and begins falling for, Julia's handsome older brother, Sebastian. But behind Julia's self-assured smiles and toasts to the future, Charlotte soon realizes, she is still suffering from a tragedy. A tragedy that the Buchanan family has kept hidden . . . until now.

With inspiration drawn from Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited, Chelsey Philpot's moving debut novel perfectly captures the intensity, the thrill, and the heartbreak of our too-brief friendships and loves.
Beginning:
The Buchanans' pull was as natural and strong as the moon on the tides, and when I was with them I was happy in the warmth of their reflected light. 
Friday 56:
The boy moved toward my workbench. "Are those birds?" he asked, picking up one of the metal rods I had melted into a delicate v-like shape and taking his sunglasses off his face with his free hand. His eyes were mahogany dark.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a delightful book. I think I need to read more YA too.
    My Friday post features BEAUTIFUL RUINS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a bittersweet love story. I am curious to know what secret the Buchanan family has kept! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend :)

    Sparrow’s BB & Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a rainy afternoon read!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun book for out by the pool. Not too complicated but with some heart to it.
    Here is my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2014/10/10/the-friday-56-40-the-rain/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this from a lot of blogs. Nice excepts. :)

    Here's mine:
    Book Beginning #1: The Blood Of Olympus

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!