Friday, November 7, 2014

Friday Memes: The Secret Box by Whitaker Ringwald

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.


This week I am spotlighting The Secret Box by Whitaker Ringwald. This book is from my TBR mountain and I have the sequel on my review stack to read later. Here is the description:
The Secret Box is a Junior Library Guild selection and the first in an irresistible middle grade series that will delight fans of Dan Gutman, Wendy Mass, and Trenton Lee Stewart.

What starts as a fun quest to open a mysterious birthday present quickly turns crazy and dangerous when Jax and her cousin Ethan discover themselves at the center of a special magical legacy. Soon they realize the secret box was not intended as a gift, but as call for help that they alone can answer.

Readers will love the page-turning mystery, hilarious girl and boy narrators, and clever incorporation of mythology—and lingering questions will leave them eager for more.
Beginning:
It looked like an ordinary package.

Rectangular. Wrapped in brown paper. Sealed with strapping tape Left on the doorstep with the rest of the mail. If Mom hadn't freaked out, I wouldn't have paid much attention to it.
Friday 56:
Ethan cringed. "No way. I'm not driving all the way to Washington, DC, with my brother."

"Why not? He's got a driver's license and a car."

"Why not?" Ethan's voice cracked. It had started doing that lately. "Uh...well, the first reason is because he's a terrible driver. It took him four tries to get his license. He couldn't figure out how to parallel park so he blamed it on the car."

1 comment:

  1. Sounds funny!
    I added you to the Linky! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!