Monday, December 1, 2014

State of the Stack (Dec. 1, 2014)

This is my monthly State of the Stack post. It is my way to keep track of my review books and to hopefully reduce the stack that I have waiting for me. I take a look at my review commitments on the last Monday of each month. Please feel free to join in and let me know the state of your stack.

Here is my Review Books Spreadsheet. Yellow highlighted books are ones past their publication date that I still haven't read and reviewed. I use pink highlights for reviews due in even numbered months so that I can see at a glance how many I have for each month. Ideally, this keeps me from over-committing to review books.  


I also do this post because sometimes (frequently) review books sit on my stack for a while before I read and review them. I try to read and review books within two weeks of publication date. Sometimes I can't, though, if too many books are releasing on the same date or if the book arrives too near its publication date and my calendar is already full. 

I am very grateful to the authors and publishers who support my reading habit. 

My Review Pile

January
The Boy Next Door by Katie Van Ark (Jan. 15)
Carousel Seas by Sharon Lee (Jan. 6)
Dream a Little Dream by Kerstin Gier (Jan. 6)
Hungry Like the Wolf by Paige Tyler (Jan. 6)
Private Affair by Rebecca York (Jan. 6)
Save Me by Jenny Elliott (Jan. 6)
The Unicorn Hunter by Che Golden (Jan. 6)
The Hound at the Gate by Darby Karchut (Jan. 13)
Polaris by Mindee Arnett (Jan. 20)
The Prey by Tom Isbell (Jan. 20)
The Rule of Three: Fight for Power by Eric Walters (Jan. 20)
Twisted Fate by Norah Olson (Jan. 20)
Since You've Been Gone by Mary Jennifer Payne (Jan. 24)
Cut Me Free by Jr. R. Johansson (Jan. 27)
The Inquisitor's Mark by Dianne K. Salerni (Jan. 27)
Playlist for the Dead by Michelle Talkoff (Jan. 27)
The Stolen Moon by Rachel Searles (Jan. 27)
Too Hot to Handle by Katie Rose (Jan. 27)

February
Beastkeeper by Cat Hellisen (Feb. 3)
I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios (Feb. 3)
Better Than Perfect by Melissa Kantor (Feb. 26)
Mars Evacuees by Sophia McDougall (Feb. 17)
Dreaming Spies by Laurie R. King (Feb. 24)
No Parking at the End Times by Bryan Bliss (Feb. 24)
The Secret Cipher by Whitaker Ringwald (Feb. 24)
Stone in the Sky by Cecil Castellucci (Feb. 24)

March
How to Win at High School by Owen Matthews (March 3)
Lost Boy by Tim Green (March 3)
The Memory Key by Liana Liu (March 3)
The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski (March 3)
The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows (March 10)
Blackbird Fly by Erin Entrada Kelly (March 24)
Boys Don't Knit by T. S. Easton (March 24)
The Cemetery Boys by Heather Brewer (March 30)
Solitaire by Alice Oseman (March 30)

April
Lies I Told by Michelle Zink (April 7)
The Pretty App by Katie Sise (April 14)
Skandal by Lindsay Smith (April 15)
Archie Greene and the Magician's Secret by D. D. Everett (April 21)
Darkmouth #1: The Legend Begins by Shane Hegerty (April 21)
Dear Hank Williams by Kimberly Willis Holt (April 21)
Every Last Promise by Kristin Halbrook (April 21)
Drive Me Crazy by Terra Elan McVoy (April 28)
Ferals by Jacob Grey (April 28)
Flirty Dancing by Jenny McLachlan (April 28)
The Secrets We Keep by Trisha Leaver (April 28)

May
Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge (May 5)
Heat of the Moment by Lauren Barnholdt (May 12)
Making Pretty by Carey Ann Haydu (May 12)
The Cost of All Things by Maggie Lehrman (May 12)
A Sense of the Infinite by Hilary T. Smith (May 19)
The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak by Brian Katcher (May 19)
Kissing in America by Margo Rabb (May 26)
The Fog Diver by Joel Ross (May 26)

June & July
Proof of Forever by Lexa Hillyer (June 2)
Can Anybody Help Me? by Sinead Crowley (July 7)

I Read This Month

These are listed in the order I read them. Links go to my reviews for all that have been posted already. Otherwise, the date the review is scheduled for is listed.
  1. Sleep with the Lights On by Maggie Shayne (Nov. 27)
  2. Her Grave Secrets by Kendra Elliot (Nov. 26)
  3. Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay (Nov. 29)
  4. Wake to Darkness by Maggie Shayne (Nov. 29)
  5. Suspicion by Alexandra Monir (Dec. 4)
  6. Walking on Her Grave (Dec. 3)
  7. Hour of Need by Melinda Leigh (Dec. 6)
  8. For Real by Alison Cherry (Dec. 6)
  9. The Stag Lord by Darby Kaye (Dec. 4)
  10. Undercity by Catherine Asaro (Dec. 11)
  11. This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner (Dec. 18)
Read Previously, Reviews Posted This Month
  1. Waistcoats & Weaponry by Gail Carriger (Oct. 29)
  2. The Red Book of Primrose House by Marty Wingate (Oct. 29)
  3. Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (Oct. 30)
  4. Caught Dead by Andrew Lanh (Oct. 30)
  5. True Fire by Gary Meehan (Nov. 1)
  6. Path of Needles by Alison Littlewood (Nov. 1)
  7. Otherworld Nights by Kelley Armstrong (Nov. 6)
  8. The Book of Storms by Ruth Hatfield (Nov. 6)
  9. Deeper Than the Grave by Tina Whittle (Nov. 8)
  10. My Sister's Grave by Robert Dugoni (Nov. 13)
  11. Mrs. Kaplan and the Matzoh Ball of Death by Mark Reutlinger (Nov. 15)
  12. On Her Father's Grave by Kendra Elliot (Nov. 12)
  13. Gone to Her Grave by Melinda Leigh (Nov. 19)
  14. On the Edge by Allison van Diepen (Nov. 20)
I Added These Books

These are listed in the order I received them. Links go to Amazon. Date published is listed in parentheses.
  1. The Rule of Three: Fight for Power by Eric Walters (Jan. 20)
  2. Flirty Dancing by Jenny McLachlan (April 28)
  3. I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios (Feb. 3)
  4. Drive Me Crazy by Terra Elan McVoy (April 28)
  5. Archie Green and the Magician's Secret by D. D. Everest (April 21)
  6. Ferals by Jacob Grey (April 28)
  7. Every Last Promise by Kristin Halbrook (April 21)
  8. Carousel Seas by Sharon Lee (Jan. 6)
  9. Undercity by Catherine Asaro (Dec. 2)
  10. Dreaming Spies by Laurie R. King (Feb. 24)
  11. Walking on Her Grave by Melinda Leigh (Nov. 18)
  12. Hungry Like the Wolf by Paige Tyler (Jan. 6)
  13. Private Affair by Rebecca York (Jan. 6)
  14. Cajun Nights by D. J. Donaldson (Nov. 13; blog tour review Dec. 18)
  15. The Stag Lord by Darby Kaye (Dec. 2)
  16. The Hound at the Gate by Darby Karchut (Jan. 13)
  17. The Fog Diver by Joel Ross (May 26)
  18. Proof of Forever by Lexa Hillyer (June 2)
  19. The Cost of All Things by Maggie Lehrman (May 12)
  20. Heat of the Moment by Lauren Barnholdt (May 12)
  21. Darkmouth #1: The Legend Begins by Shane Hegarty (April 21)
  22. Kissing in America by Margo Rabb (May 26)
  23. Making Pretty by Corey Ann Heydu (May 12)
  24. The Improbable Theory of Ana and Zak by Brian Katcher (May 19)
  25. Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge (May 5)
  26. A Sense of the Infinite by Hilary T. Smith (May 19)
  27. Since You've Been Gone by Mary Jennifer Payne (Feb. 17)
Next Month's Plan

I have just one more book to read - Love & Other Theories by Alexis Bass - and will have finished my December review books. That is a very good thing because January is packed very full with review books. My YA calendar is packed with reviews every Thursday and Saturday and two Wednesdays too. I only have three adult review books on the stack for January which will give me a chance to pull some books off TBR mountain which is threatening to erupt at any moment.

Late in the month, HarperCollins added a bunch of May releases to Edelweiss. They have nicely filled up my YA review calender through May. It is nice to have full shelves but I will miss reading my own books. I may be able to fit in one or two but the bulk of  YA TBR mountain will have to wait until summer.

How is your schedule looking for the winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!