Thursday, January 8, 2015

ARC Review: The Rule of Three: Fight for Power by Eric Walters

The Rule of Three: Fight for Power
Author: Eric Walters
Series: The Rule of Three (Book 2)
Publication: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (January 20, 2015)

Description: After sixty-six days of a catastrophic global blackout, life in the suburbs is not what it used to be for Adam and his fortified neighborhood of Eden Mills. Although an explosive clash has minimized one threat from outside the walls, Adam’s battle-hardened mentor, Herb, continues to make decisions in the name of security that are increasingly wrenching and questionable. Like his police chief mom and others, Adam will follow Herb’s lead. But when the next threat comes from an unexpected direction, nobody is ready for it. And someone is going to pay the price—because of Adam’s mistakes and mistaken trust.

I had this book sitting on my desk at work hoping to begin reading it if I had a break. One of my big readers saw it and asked if he could read it. I said he could ... if he would write the review. Therefore...

My A Student's Thoughts: My first recommendation for anyone about to read this book is to re-read the first book, or at least scan through it. FIGHT FOR POWER  accelerates an already action-packed storyline, so having a good idea of what occurred in the first book is vital. I really enjoyed this book, Adam received some additional character development, he is starting to transition from a main character into a true front-and-center leader. This book starts to answer some of the questions that you may have from the first book. However, plenty of them are partially answered at best.

Even with all the questions being answered and so many of the mysteries solved, this book is much less intense through the middle. Like the first book, almost all decisions are life or death. The difference being that key characters like Herb, Adam, Lori, and Brett seem to take an almost cavalier attitude towards them. That's not to say that they are calm and collected throughout the book, we are talking dystopian fiction, but they seem better able to handle and cope with these everyday problems.

Despite my no-spoiler policy, I feel safe in telling you that it ends in a cliffhanger that could potentially change the entire picture going into the third book. All in all, this book has enough action to keep teenagers engaged while also developing into serious questions on what would you, could you, should you do?

Favorite Quote:
That was one name for it. I wondered what you could really call this? Was it a massacre, or a carnage, or a bloodbath or…. I stopped myself from going further. It didn’t need a name.
I got this ARC from Macmillan. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!