Wednesday, February 18, 2015

ARC Review: Stone in the Sky by Cecil Castellucci

Stone in the Sky
Author: Cecil Castellucci
Series: Tin Star (Book 2)
Publication: Roaring Brook Press (February 24, 2015)

Description: Brother Blue.

His name, even the color, filled me with a furious fire of pure hatred.

Years ago, Tula Bane was beaten and left for dead on a remote space station far from Earth, her home planet. She started with nothing and had no one, but over time, she found a home, a family, and even love. When it's discovered that the abandoned planet beneath the station is abundant with a rare and valuable resource, aliens from across the galaxy race over to strike it rich. With them comes trouble, like the man who nearly killed Tula years ago—the man she has dreamed of destroying ever since.

In this sequel to Tin Star, Cecil Castellucci takes readers on an extraordinary adventure through space in a thrilling and thoughtful exploration of what it means to love, to hate, and to be human.

My Thoughts: This sequel to TIN STAR begins shortly after the actions in that book. Tula Bane is living on the space station, the Yertina Feray, and has opened a water, sweets and salts store which welcomes aliens of all kinds. While Tournour, the alien sheriff and Tula's love, has been good at keeping the station under the radar of the new Imperium, things change when a ship crashes on Quint, the planet the station orbits, and discovers alin. Alin is a pollen that is very scarce and very much in demand among all sorts of aliens. This discovery initiates a rush and draws the attention of the Imperium.

The first official from the Imperium to arrive is Tula's enemy Brother Blue. Brother Blue wants Tula dead because she is one of the few who know that Brother Blue is running a scam. He says that he has settled five planets with human outposts but Tula knows there are no settlements. Tula is forced to flee from the station to save her life.

Tula wanders the galaxy looking for her friend Caleb. For his safety, she had sent him to the edge of the galaxy where he intended to recruit help to improve Earth's place in the government of the worlds. Along the way, she finds groups of humans who are called Wanderers. They were among the first groups to leave Earth and are not allowed back. Tula tries to convince them to avoid Brother Blue's attempts to recruit them as colonists for his worlds.

Tula finally finds her way back to the Yertina Feray and Quint but she still has to deal with Brother Blue who still wants her dead. Tula also has to decide between her love for Tournour and her love for Reza, a human who was the one who discovered alin on Quint. She has to finally decide what future she sees for herself after spending years wanting only revenge on Brother Blue.

This was an interesting science fiction story. This one still had lots of different alien species but less emphasis was placed on Tula interacting with them and more emphasis was placed on the bigger political problems.

Fans of science fiction will enjoy this one but should definitely read TIN STAR first.

Favorite Quote:
Truth be told, I was jealous. It bothered me that he was down there. When I looked at Quint, instead of seeing the oceans, the clouds, the rust belt, or the landmasses, I imagined his shadowy figure lumbering across what I had begun to feel was my special place. My lonely world. My stone in the sky.

Now with all those people down there, it was as though my own heart was being invaded.

And I preferred for my heart to be untouched.
I got this ARC from Macmillan. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!