Friday, February 27, 2015

Friday Memes: How to Win at High School by Owen Matthews

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting How to Win at High School by Owen Matthews. I got this eARC at Edelweiss. Here is the description of this March 3 release:
Adam Higgs is a loser, and he's not okay with it.

But starting as a junior in a new high school seems like exactly the right time to change things. He brainstorms with his best friend, Brian: What will it take for him to take over Nixon Collegiate? Adam searches for the A-listers' weak spot and strikes gold when he gets queen bee Sara Bryant to pay him for doing her physics homework. One part nerd, two parts badass, Adam ditches his legit job and turns to full-time cheating. His clients? All the Nixon Collegiate gods and goddesses.

But soon his homework business becomes a booze business, which becomes a fake ID business. Adam's popularity soars as he unlocks high school achievements left and right, from his first kiss to his first rebound hookup. But something else is haunting him—a dark memory from his past, driving him to keep climbing. What is it? And will he go too far?

How to Win at High School's honest picture of high school hierarchy combines with an over-the-top, adrenaline-charged story line, and Adam's rocket ride to the top of the social order (and his subsequent flameout) is by turns bawdy and sweetly emotional.
Beginning:
Adam Higgs is a loser. That's the first thing you have to know.
Friday 56:
Adam's lying, of course.
He's busy.
He's really busy.

6 comments:

  1. I am not sure I would like Adam or high school these days. It may have been the same when I attended and I just had blinders on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking forward to this - I hope you like it. :)

    Check out my 56.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fascinating glimpse into the power structure among high school students. It would be interesting to compare it to my high school days! I'm curious about Adam's "dark memory," and I think I'd enjoy this story a lot.
    My Friday post features A QUILT FOR CHRISTMAS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have kids in high school so I think this might make me pretty nervous to read! There was always that guy though when I was in school who seemed to be able to provide anything. Thanks for sharing! It sounds like Adam is a unique character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Losers are usually liars... lol...
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!