Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday Memes: The Secret Cipher by Whitaker Ringwald

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting The Secret Cipher by Whitaker Ringwald. I got this eARC at Edelweiss. Here is the description for this February 24 release:
The Secret Cipher is the sequel to The Secret Box, a rollicking adventure full of family rivalry, magic, questing, and laugh-out-loud humor that's perfect for fans of Dan Gutman, Wendy Mass, and Trenton Lee Stewart.

Jax Malone and her cousin Ethan Hoche were not expecting one of Jax's birthday presents to contain a dangerous magical object from a mythical past: an urn with the dark power to suck hope out of the world.

Though the first urn is safely hidden, there are two more urns that could rid humanity of both faith and love. And powerful enemies who want to find them and use them to control the world. Now, even though they were never meant to open the present and discover its secret, Jax and Ethan must race to find and destroy the two remaining urns before it's too late.
Beginning:
It's still hard for me to use the word magical. Until one month ago, I would have bet my life on the fact that magic doesn't exist.
Friday 56:
"Guess we're going," I said with a sigh.

Tyler looked equally unhappy about the situation. He grumbled something about Jax and her stupid secret-box birthday present, then crammed another egg roll in his mouth.

8 comments:

  1. Oh this looks fun! I love the excerpts and the cover for this! Hope you enjoy. I'll have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a fun escape. What a terrible birthday present!
    My Friday post features CHRISTMAS CRACKER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No magic? Awwwwwww. :)

    I like the beginning.

    ENJOY!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beginning relates to most people I think.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a very fun read.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh oh. Sounds like another adventure with all kinds of intrigue. This series sounds delightful.
    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/02/20/the-friday-56-53-the-unseen/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not usually my first choice of reading but the snippets are enticing :-)

    The Picture.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!