Monday, June 22, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (June 22, 2015)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

I had a lovely, relaxing week here at home in Duluth. The weather has been nicely cool. The furnace has even run a few times in the mornings. I much prefer this sort of temperature to the hot weather at my other house. It is perfect for reading!

I am still maintaining my book-a-day pace (check out my other blog to see what else I read this week.) I'm also getting a chance to read at least a few of the books on my TBR mountain. I've finished my July review books and starting on August's. There are only seven but six are being released on August 4.

Saturday Duluth hosted the annual Grandma's Marathon which brought a lot of visitors to town. I managed to stay out of the way as traffic in the marathon area is awful. Even from my house a couple of miles away, I could hear some of the sounds from the big tent show.

Read Last Week
All Fall Down by Ally Carter begins a new series. I liked the characters and thought the plot was interesting. It did leave a lot of plot threads hanging though. My review will be posted on July 15.

The Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey was also an interesting story. I liked the main character and I liked the world building even though it wasn't about dragons as I had thought. My review will be posted on July 16.
Nightborn by Lou Anders is the second book in the Thrones and Bones series. This is middle grade fantasy and has our hero from book 1 tracking down our heroine from book 2 as she was sent off on an adventure by a dragon and hasn't returned. Action-packed and filled with great characters, I enjoyed this middle grade book. My review will be posted on July 18.

The Unnaturalists by Tiffany Trent has been on my TBR stack since December of 2013. I also enjoyed this upper grade fantasy about an alternate London that was swept into faerie. The world building was great and the characters interesting. The only thing I didn't like was the case of insta-love between two of the main characters. My review will be posted on July 22.

Currently
Daughter of Dusk by Livia Blackburne is next on my review stack. This is the sequel to Midnight Thief and will be released on August 4.

Next Week
I am going to start the week reading a couple of books from TBR mountain. 

Seconds Away by Harlan Coben is a mystery featuring the nephew of the main character of Coben's adult mysteries. This is the second in the series and I've had it on TBR mountain since July 3, 2013.

Among Others by Jo Walton is a Hugo and Nebula Award winning books that defies description. I bought it because of the awards on July 20, 2011.
Later in the week I'll be tackling the next two on my review stack.

Public Enemies by Ann Aguirre is a sequel to Mortal Danger and is a contemporary fantasy. It will be released on August 4.

School for Sidekicks by Kelly McCullough is a middle grade fantasy also being released on August 4.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I added the two free SYNC audiobooks this week. You have until next Thursday to download your own copies.
Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
Anne Frank Remembered by Miep Gies
I also got three new books for Review from Macmillan via NetGalley. 

Tonight the Streets Are Ours by Leila Sales which will be released on September 15
Dream Strider by Lindsay Smith which will be released on October 6
The August 5 by Jenna Helland (Nov. 10)

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

11 comments:

  1. I like warmer weather but I'm glad you're enjoying a more moderate climate in Duluth. I don't care for crowds or traffic congestion either. I usually avoid the downtown area where I live especially in summer as there are always festivals going on.

    I was a little disappointed with All Fall Down. It wasn't as good as her other series in my opinion and I agree that it left plot threads hanging. Maybe the next book will be better.

    Too bad School for Sidekicks isn't out till August. It would have been perfect for this year's kids summer reading program theme (Every Hero Has a Story)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've been downloading the SYNC YA books (at least when I remember), but I haven't looked ahead at the list. I'm so excited to see Rose Under Fire is available. I've been wanting to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just got back from travels, so I am unpacking. But I ordered several books, both print and kindle, and I can hardly wait to dive into them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked All Fall Down ... but I loved Gallagher Girls and Heist Society so we will see where this series leads. There is potential! School for Sidekicks looks fun. Must add it to the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All Fall Down was just so sad! Don't think I'll buy. Schreiber's Con Academy was much better- Netgalley has the ARC. Like Gallagher Girls, but with male protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh nice! I thought All Fall Down was interesting as well! Loved Girl at Midnight and oooohhh Public Enemies! I cannot wait to read that one! LOVED Mortal Danger! Hope you enjoy your reads for the week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, sounds like your reading has certainly been keeping you busy! We keep running the air on and off here in Madison, WI as June is always that weird balance between too hot and absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never had the opportunity to really get into the YA literature. I bought a lot of it when I taught 4th grade, but I have no use for it in 1st now. The boxes of YA books (hundreds and hundreds of books haha) are under my bed and in closets... I even rented a storage unit! I almost got through reading them, but then I changed grade levels. Now, I spend my time reading Pete the Cat and Junie B. Jones. ;)

    I, too, had a goal of reading a book a day. I must have lost my mind! I never sleep! Between grad school, organizing for the upcoming school year, getting read for the two trips I will take in July, and cleaning my house, I just barely squeeze in an average of a book a day. It's exhausting! Haha!

    Enjoy the rest of your summer!
    Carrie
    Make Time for Glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grrrr - you've given me a taste of some fabulous books and I want to read the reviews now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. School of Sidekicks looks interesting. I'm totally basing that on the cover alone! Thanks for sharing it. I hadn't heard about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your review of Red Queen as it seems to be getting much love recently. I received a review copy several months back but haven't gotten around to reading it yet - I think I should sink my teeth into it soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!