Monday, June 8, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (June 8, 2015)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

School's out! School's out! I am officially on vacation until August 31. I am spending the first few days of my vacation quietly here at home. I am gradually packing to remove myself to my summer home in Duluth. I'll be heading North on Wednesday. I can't wait to get a chance to visit with my brother and just be in a different place.

I started my vacation by doing some work on my blog. I completed and scheduled all my Teaser Tuesday and Book Beginning and Friday 56 posts for the month of July. I already have the books I'm going to read for July slotted in on my calendar. The month is mostly filled with review books. I do hope to be able to squeeze in some of the YA books that I have been buying over the course of this school year too.

Summer is book-a-day reading for me usually. I have already read 6 books in June. I do try to alternate between young adult books and books from my adult stack. I am also trending away from contemporary YA in my review book choices. I have decided that I really enjoy fantasy and paranormal books more.

Read Last Week
I began this week reading one from my TBR mountain before returning to my Review stack.

I read Seeker by Arwen Elys Dayton which turned out to be a different sort of fantasy than I was expecting. It had engaging characters and a fast-moving plot. My review will be posted on June 24.

Don't Ever Change by M. Beth Bloom was a contemporary YA story that just didn't work for me. It reminded me a little of the television program Seinfeld which proudly stated that it was a show about nothing. I kept reading in hopes that something would happen or that the main character would change only to be disappointed. My review will be posted on June 25.
I read Between Us and the Moon by Rebecca Maizel which was an interesting coming-of-age story and romance. I especially liked that the main character was a science geek. My review will be posted on June 27.

I also treated myself to Nowhere but Here by Katie McGarry and loved it. I loved the relationship between Emily and Oz and loved that the story was told alternately from each one's point of view. The side characters were also amazing and well-rounded. My review will be posted on July 1.

Currently

I haven't started my next book yet. I alternate between adult books and young adult books and am reading an adult review book from my stack.

Next Week
Paperweight by Meg Haston is a contemporary about, among other things, eating disorders. It will be released on July 7.

Silver in the Blood by Jessica Day George is also a July 7 release. This one is an historical paranormal.
Rebel Mechanics by Shanna Swendson is also being released on July 7. This one is a historical fantasy.

Battlesaurus: Rampage at Waterloo by Brian Falker will be released on July 14. This one is also a historical fantasy.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

9 comments:

  1. Enjoy your summer vacation! Looks like you have lots of good books to catch up on. I am curious about the Jessica Day George one. I've enjoyed some of her other books in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed with how organized--and how far ahead--you are with your blog. I'm scrambling to keep up! Enjoy your reading and summer. It looks like you had some great books to start off with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Summer! I'm finished too but still need to write evaluations, another week perhaps! I will look for Seeker, sounds good, & the others too. Rebel Mechanics also looks like one I would enjoy. Thanks, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kay, Book Scavenger looks interesting. I'm overwhelmed at how organized you are. I just bring home piles of books that I need to read over the summer and grab them from the pile more or less. The only ones I must read are the library books that I have put on hold and finally show up. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh nice! Those are mostly new to me books! I've seen a few around but haven't read any. Hope you enjoy the reads for this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to tell you, I am intrigued by your thoughts on Don't Ever Change. I am someone who is strangely a fan of books about nothing, so long as the characters make it worth the ride. I'm curious to see if I'll be able to connect with the characters in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on being finished for the summer! I admire your organization and planning for this blog! I also have Rebel Mechanics on my TBR pile. Historical fantasy seems to be a popular genre of late!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My vacation just started also. Have a wonderful time in Duluth! I'm planning on a book-a-day summer too. Isn't it lovely to have time for that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My eye was caught by Silver in the Blood - looks like an awesome read. Great to hear about your #bookaday intention this summer. I find that I haven't been doing much reading unfortunately over the past several days as I am overseas on vacation. I hope I catch up on my reading when I am finally at the beach next week. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!