Friday, July 31, 2015

Friday Memes: Public Enemies by Ann Aguirre

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

This week I am spotlighting Public Enemies by Ann Aguirre. This is the second book in The Immortal Games series. I got this ARC from Macmillan. Here is the description from Amazon:
Through a Faustian bargain, Edie Kramer has been pulled into the dangerous world of the Immortal Game, where belief makes your nightmares real. Hungry for sport, fears-made-flesh are always raising the stakes. To them, human lives are less than nothing, just pieces on a board.

Because of her boyfriend Kian's sacrifice, she's operating under the mysterious Harbinger's aegis, but his patronage could prove as fatal as the opposition. Raw from deepest loss, she's terrified over the deal Kian made for her. Though her very public enemies keep sending foot soldiers - mercenary monsters committed to her destruction - she's not the one playing under a doom clock. Kian has six months . . . unless Edie can save him. And this is a game she can't bear to lose.
Beginning:
Six days before Christmas, two thugs snatched me off the sidewalk and shoved me into a black panel van.
Friday 56:
"We must have a serious chat," the Harbinger said, clamping my arm with steely fingers.

13 comments:

  1. Wow. What an opener. Is the series a bit like The Hunger Games? Do your students like it?

    My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dystopia and fantasy are not genres I normally read, but hope you are enjoying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dystopia and fantasy are not genres I normally read, but hope you are enjoying this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy your current read. I don't know if I would pick this one up, but the opening is interesting enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover creeps me out so I think this is one I would have to pass on. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great opening! This isn't a genre I usually read, but Public Enemies sounds like it's a good story.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has me right from the get go! This reminds me of The Hunger Games and Divergent. Is this type of book it is?

    Here are mine: http://afoldinthespine.weebly.com/home/the-friday-50-1
    http://afoldinthespine.weebly.com/home/book-beginning-friday-1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is my kind of story. And I love that cover too.

    Here's my 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/07/31/the-friday-56-71-night-and-day/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read another book by her and didn't really get into it. I'm featuring this one as part of my new releases of August post on Monday, but I'm not sure. I haven't read the first book in the series either. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cover and intense beginning!!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not heard of this series but it sounds cool! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!