Thursday, August 20, 2015

Book Review: A Beautiful Evil by Kelly Keaton

A Beautiful Evil
Author: Kelly Keaton
Series: Gods & Monsters, Book 2
Publication: Simon Pulse (February 21, 2012

Description: After the epic graveyard battle at the end of Darkness Becomes Her, Ari and her friends know what they’re up against: Ari is facing the Medusa curse and is haunted by the image of what she will become. To make matters worse, the heinous goddess Athena has kidnapped young Violet and is threatening to destroy Ari.

Ari, along with the superhot Sebastian, is doing everything she can to learn more about Athena and to get Violet back. But the battle of good and evil is bigger than she realizes, and she’s about to be pulled into a world more horrific than she could ever imagine....

My Thoughts: Ari is dealing with the fact that she is cursed to become a gorgon at age 21. Her mother committed suicide at that age; her father left her. Ari was raised in foster care but now she is in New 2 - the future version of New Orleans owned by the nine paranormal families. She is also determined to defeat Athena who has kidnapped her father and her young friend. Ari has to quickly learn to control the powers she hates and is afraid of in order to save the ones she cares about.

She also cares about Sebastian who is the heir of one of those nine families. He is a warlock with a grandmother who is a vampire. Ari has never had a boyfriend and now isn't really the time to start a relationship but...

I liked the world building in this story. I liked that it has witches, vampires, demigods and shape-shifters. Athena makes a great villain because of her amoral qualities. But Ari has an advantage because she isn't working alone and, besides, Athena created her ancestors to be god-killers.

This was exciting and action-packed. I can't wait to read books 3 and 4.

Favorite Quote:
And yet I had this need, this terrible, burning need to be accepted, to be seen as normal. My old social services counselor would say it was because of my abandonment, my childhood, and knocking around from one home to another. I knew that I was broken and missing some parts. I knew I had issues. I even knew all the proper things I was supposed to do to make a Better Me, but knowing and getting that something inside you to work right again? Yeah. I hadn't figured that one out yet.
I bought this one on January 7, 2013. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!