Monday, August 31, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Aug. 31, 2015) #IMWAYR

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

(Sunday Evening) My alarm clock is set for the first time since June 5 and my clothes are laid out for tomorrow. It is time to go back to school. I will be eager to see my colleagues again and get back into a regular routine. On the other hand, I will miss the laid back pace and opportunity to do what I want when I want of summer. My list of things to do before the students walk in the door on September 8 is really, really long.

Looking back over this summer, I read 117 novels easily beating my "book a day" goal. I also got ahead on my review book stack having read and scheduled all my book reviews through October. My goal of lowering my TBR mountain was less successful. I added a total of 165 books over the course of the summer. According to LibraryThing I have 2172 books marked as "To Read." I need to look over my shelves and donate those that no longer interest me. I'm sure I can lower the stack by a couple hundred and give myself some more shelf space on my crowded bookshelves.

Read Last Week
When I book on my review stack didn't work out for me, I chose one from my Kindle and read Cold Burn of Magic by Jennifer Estep. This urban fantasy was enjoyable and begins a new series. The second book comes out in October. My review will be posted on October 24.

The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett is her YA debut. This is a romance with interesting characters who have a host of real life problems like divorce and illness. I enjoyed both the writing and the characters. My review will be posted on October 29.
Finding Fortune by Delia Ray was an engaging middle grade title that combined a treasure hunt, engaging characters and some history too. My review will be posted on November 4.

Young Widows Club by Alexandra Coutts was also a very engaging story about a young woman who drops out of school to marry her musician boyfriend and then becomes a widow six weeks later. This story was emotionally wrenching as we follow Tam as she tried to adjust the changes in her life. My review will be posted on October 31.

Currently

Nothing at the moment. I have 4 November releases on my review stack and am not sure which I'll read next.

Next Week

Here are my final four November review books.
 The Girl Who Could Not Dream by Sarah Beth Durst (Nov. 3) - I am scheduled to post this review on November 14 and will have an author guest post on Nov. 11.

The August 5 by Jenna Helland (Nov. 10)
Soundless by Richelle Mead (Nov. 10) - This is an Amazon Vine book.

On the Run by Tristan Bancks (Nov. 17)

If I have more reading time than I think I will, I will finally be able to get some YA books off TBR mountain.
The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker
The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I started the week by adding this book which was tweeted about - hardcover, combination of novel and graphic novel, well-known authors and about $5.00 - In the Shadows by Kiersten White and Jim De Bartolo.

Then the new eARCs from HarperCollins were loaded to Edelweiss and I picked these for my winter reading:
 Sword and Verse by Kathy MacMillan (Jan. 19)
The Mystery of Hollow Places by Rebecca Podos (Jan. 26)
Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers (Feb. 2)
 The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig (Feb. 16)
Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan (Feb. 9)
The Shadow Queen by C. J. Redwine (Feb. 23)
A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro (March 1)
Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie (March 1)
The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins (March 8)
A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann (March 15)
Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima (April 5) 
I ended the week by adding True Calling by Siobhan Davis to my Kindle. I spotted this free book in my BookBub newsletter because it was science fiction - one of my favorite genres.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with your back to school prep! My mom's school has their orientation tonight and school starts on Wednesday. Schools in my area started last week. The summer always seems to go by so fast!

    Great job with your reading and reviewing. I'm not sure how many books I read this summer but I think it's more than last year. Sadly I am still behind on writing reviews.

    There are a lot of great books coming out this fall. I am curious about the Young Widows Club. The Great Hunt, Reign of Shadows and The Shadow Queen look really good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a successful reading summer!
    I haven't checked in at Edelweiss for a while, might be time to!

    Have a great reading week

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of our schools are already into their 2nd weeks Hope you have a wonderful week, Kathy. I imagine it'll slow down the reading some, right? Enjoy what you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoh nice! I thought Soundless was a pretty intriguing read! Hope you enjoy all your reads this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, these are all unfamiliar titles to me - the book covers all look very attractive. The Mystery of Hollow Places caught my eye. Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!