Monday, August 31, 2015

State of the Stack (August 31, 2015)

This is my monthly State of the Stack post. It is my way to keep track of my review books and to hopefully reduce the stack that I have waiting for me. I take a look at my review commitments on the last Monday of each month. Please feel free to join in and let me know the state of your stack.

Here is my Review Books Spreadsheet I list them in publication order and sort them by month. I can quickly see how many books I have for each date. Ideally, this keeps me from over-committing to review books.  Check my spreadsheet to find out where I got each book.

I also do this post because sometimes (frequently) review books sit on my stack for a while before I read and review them. I try to read and review books within two weeks of publication date. Sometimes I can't, though, if too many books are releasing on the same date or if the book arrives too near its publication date and my calendar is already full.

I am very grateful to the authors and publishers who support my reading habit.

My Review Pile

November
The Girl Who Could Not Dream by Sarah Beth Durst (Nov. 3)
The August 5 by Jenna Helland (Nov. 10)
Soundless by Richelle Mead (Nov. 10)
On the Run by Tristan Bancks (Nov. 17)

December
The Devil's Engine: Hellraisers by Alexander Gordon Smith (Dec. 1)
Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood (Dec. 8)
Haunting Investigation by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (Adult; Dec. 31)

January
Sword and Verse by Kathy MacMillan (Jan. 19)
The Mystery of Hollow Places by Rebecca Podos (Jan. 26)

February
Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers (Feb. 2)
Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan (Feb. 9)
The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig (Feb. 16)
The Shadow Queen by C. J. Redwine (Feb. 23)
Tumbled Graves by Brenda Chapman (Adult; Feb. 27)

March
A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro (March 1)
Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie (March 1)
The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins (March 8)
A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann (March 15)

April
Flamecaster (Shadowed Realms) by Cinda Williams Chima (April 5)

I Read This Month

These are listed in the order I read them. Links go to my reviews for all that have been posted already. Otherwise, the date the review is scheduled for is listed.
  1. This Monstrous Thing by Mackenzi Lee (Sept. 26)
  2. Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes by Denise Grover Swank (August 19) 
  3. Red Line by Brian Thiem (August 26) 
  4. A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn (Sept. 2) 
  5. Lady of Magick by Sylvia Izzo Hunter (Sept. 3) 
  6. Screwball by Linda Morris (Sept. 13) 
  7. Autumn Moon by Jan DeLima (Oct. 1)
  8. Primal Force by D. D. Ayres (Sept. 5)
  9. A Thousand Nights by E. K. Johnston (Sept. 30) 
  10. Spinning Starlight by R. C. Lewis (Oct. 1) 
  11. The White Rose by Amy Ewing (Oct. 3)
  12. Ice Like Fire by Sara Raasch (Oct. 8)
  13. Newt's Emerald by Garth Nix (Oct. 10) 
  14. Dead Investigation by Charlie Price (Oct. 14) 
  15. A Sliver of Stardust by Marissa Burt (Oct. 15) 
  16. Losers Take All by David Klass (Oct. 17) 
  17. These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly (Oct. 22)
  18. Nine Lives by Wendy Corsi Staub (Oct. 22) 
  19. The Anatomical Shape of a Heart by Jenn Bennett (Oct. 29) 
  20. Young Widows Club by Alexandra Coutts (Oct. 31) 
  21. Finding Fortune by Delia Ray (Nov. 4) 
  22. Dark Turns by Cate Holahan (Nov. 5) 
  23. The Reluctant Duchess by Sharon Cullen (Nov. 7)
Read Previously, Reviews Posted This Month
  1. Chasing Secrets by Gennifer Choldenko (July 29)
  2. The Veil by Chloe Neill (July 29)
  3. School for Sidekicks by Kelly McCullough (July 30)
  4. Wolf Trouble by Paige Tyler (July 30)
  5. Public Enemies by Ann Aguirre (Aug. 1) 
  6. Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Marty Wingate (Aug. 1)
  7. Plantation Shudders by Ellen Byron (August 5)
  8. Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell (Aug. 6)
  9. Reawakened by Colleen Houck (Aug. 8)
  10. No Virgin Island by C. Michele Dorsey (Aug. 12) 
  11. Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes by Denise Grover Swank (Aug. 19)
  12. Hunter by Mercedes Lackey (Aug. 22)
  13. The Copper Gauntlet by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare (Aug. 26)
  14. Bridget Wilder: Spy-in-Training by Jonathan Bernstein (Aug. 27) 
  15. Truest by Jackie Lea Sommers (Aug. 29)
I Added These Books

These are listed in the order I received them. Links go to Amazon. Date published is listed in parentheses.
  1. Red Line by Brian Thiem (August 11)
  2. Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes by Denise Grover Swank (August 11)
  3. A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn (September 1)
  4. Lady of Magick by Sylvia Izzo Hunter (September 1)
  5. Autumn Moon by Jan DeLima (Sept. 29)
  6. Screwball by Linda Morris (Sept. 15)
  7. Primal Force by D. D. Ayres (Sept. 1)
  8. The Reluctant Duchess by Sharon Cullen (Nov. 10)
  9. The Girl Who Could Not Dream by Sarah Beth Durst (Nov. 3)
  10. Tumbled Graves by Brenda Chapman (Feb. 27, 2016) 
  11. Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie (March 1, 2016) 
  12. The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins (March 8, 2016)
  13. A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro (March 1, 2016)
  14. Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima (April 5, 2016)
  15. The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig (Feb. 16, 2016)
  16. Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan (Feb. 9, 2016)
  17. The Mystery of Hollow Places by Rebecca Podos (Jan. 26, 2016)
  18. Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers (Feb. 2, 2016)
  19. The Shadow Queen by C. J. Redwine (Feb. 23, 2016)
  20. Sword and Verse by Kathy MacMillan (Jan. 19, 2016)
  21. A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann (March 15, 2016)
Next Month's Plan

I was hoping to finish most of the review books on my stack before I started school again on August 31 and almost made my goal. Edelweiss and HarperCollins sabotaged my plans when they put up a nice collection of eARCs on August 26. I did try to limit myself to one for each date and chose only YA titles even though some of the middle grade titles sounded good. 

I have already read four of my November releases and just have four to go. December and January are currently light months. But I am waiting for the Macmillan ARCs and eARCs to arrive which could change things. 

I have book reviews scheduled through October and would like to stay at least a month ahead despite having less free time for reading once the school year begins.   

1 comment:

  1. The Mystery of Hollow Places sounds fantastic!!!! I'll be looking for that one.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!