Monday, September 7, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Sept. 7, 2014)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

School started this week for teachers. Between workshops, work time, and Open Houses, I was in one school building or another for 41 hours from Monday through Thursday. Then there was the time I spent on my computer at home. I got up Friday morning and was glad to have a "couch day."

I didn't have big plans for the Labor Day weekend. I was invited to a friend's daughter's wedding on Saturday which was very nice. It was good to catch up with some old friends. It was also nice to just spend time at home reading and relaxing. I'm as ready for the kids walking in the door on Tuesday as I can be.

August Report

I read 33 YA and Adult books this past month. Twenty of the books were review books. I read sixteen young adult books. Fifteen of them were review books. I read 11,807 pages. I have reviews scheduled through the first two weeks of November and have finished reading all my September, October and November releases.

I added 47 books to my stack in August and have read five of them. Sixteen of my new books were books I received for review.

Read Last Week
The August 5 by Jenna Helland was a fantasy novel that lacked excitement for me. I found the writing to be unpolished and the characters one-dimensional. My review will be posted on November 5.

Soundless by Richelle Mead was an entertaining fantasy about a girl from a village of deaf people who regains her hearing and who has to save her people from being exploited. My review will be posted on November 7.
On the Run by Tristan Bancks was a middle grade realistic fiction story set in Australia told by a boy named Ben. Ben's parents have packed up the kids and are on the run after a bank error puts $7.2 million in their account and they decide to steal it. This is action-packed but also philosophical as Ben has to decide what is the right thing to do. My review will be posted on November 12.

The Girl Who Could Not Dream by Sarah Beth Durst was an excellent middle grade fantasy. Sophie is a girl who can not dream but her parents have a side business of collecting dreams, distilling them, and selling them. When her parents are kidnapped, Sophie and Monster and her new friend Ethan have to rescue them. My review will be posted on November 14.

Currently
I got The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes in early August and it has been calling my name.

Next Week
The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson and The Witch Hunter by Virginia Boecker also arrived during this past summer. I want to read them so that I can get them into the hands of my students. I donate all hardcovers to one or the other of my media centers after I finish them.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas arrived and went onto TBR mountain. I do hope to get to it before the end of the year but have a stack of books ahead of it.

Hunter by Mercedes Lackey is a keeper Kindle copy. I read the eARC and wanted to own a finished copy of this science fiction/fantasy title.
I received Burning Midnight by Will McIntosh from Delacorte via NetGalley this week. This science fiction/fantasy will be releasing on February 2.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

5 comments:

  1. Loved The Girl Who Could Not Dream! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Girl Who Could Not Dream sounds very good, & now I see above that Jana liked it too. Will keep it on my list, Kathy. Have a wonderful first day with the students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your first day of school! Hope you get a chance to rest today too.

    I liked Soundless but it wasn't what I expected. Definitely very different from her other YA books. I also liked The Fixer. Reminded me of Ally Carter's books. I want to read Ash & Bramble and still need to read my copy of The Heart of Betrayal.

    Thanks to your review I decided I need to read Shades of Milk and Honey. Look forward to reading that when it comes in on hold at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Girl who Could Not Dream and On the Run sound so interesting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fans of the Impossible Life caught my eye. Hope you enjoy all your books this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!