Monday, October 5, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Oct. 5, 2015)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

Fall weather has made an appearance here in southern Minnesota. The days have been crisp and bright and great for walking after school. This was Homecoming week at the high school and things went well except that someone or a group of someones lit the bonfire a night early. It was announced that there would be a new bonfire after the football game but that the location was secret and would be announced at the game. I didn't attend and have no idea where the new bonfire was. Doubtless, I'll hear on Monday.

September was my slowest reading month of the year so far. I still managed to read 21 books with 7217 pages. Since I have few books to read in December for review, I was able to read eleven books from my TBR mountain. I have also set up all my posts for December on both my blogs and have completed the Teaser Tuesdays and Friday Memes. Since my reading pace has slowed. I also set up a couple of Top Ten posts for Wednesdays so that my blog has some new content most days. I also spent time this week posting all my reviews for the September releases on Amazon.

I'm thinking of doing some kind of a regular post on Wednesdays to spotlight books that are on my TBR mountains. It would be nice if I could then add them to my reading stack but, at least on this blog, that would be unlikely. I already have full calendars of review books for most of January and February. There is already a Waiting on Wednesday meme but I'm usually not waiting for anything. I could go a whole year without adding a new book and still have books on my stack that I haven't read.

Read Last Week
An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir was an interesting fantasy. I enjoyed the world building and the characters. I'll be looking forward to the next book in the series. My review will be posted on December 2.

Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood was also an interesting book. This science fiction story was filled with intrigue and political maneuvering. I enjoyed the main character for her loyalty and determination. I thought the romance was realistic. My review will be posted on December 3.

Currently
I am finally able to start The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh. I have a few of this year's big books still on my stack and hope to read them yet this year.

Next Week
The Friday Society by Adrienne Kress has been on my stack since 2012. When I was browsing my TBR mountain, I was attracted by the cover which looks a little steampunk.

In the Shadows by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo was a recent purchase. It was on sale for about $5. This combination novel and graphic novel looks intriguing.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley was a digital deal this week. I have the hardcover and have read it a number of times. Now I have the convenient and portable ebook version.

I bought Dumplin' by Julie Murphy after hearing a number of good things about it. I hope to get a chance to read it before the first of the year.

Breaking Sky by Cori McCarthy was also a digital deal this week. I hadn't heard of this science fiction story before but it sounded good.
These are all print books to read and donate to my high school media center.

The Unquiet Past by Kelley Armstrong is a paranormal story that is part of the multi-author Secrets series.

Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti has been getting lots of buzz. It sounded like something both my students and I would enjoy.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo was on my "must-buy" list. I loved her Grisha trilogy and can't wait to read this new story set in the same world.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

6 comments:

  1. Summer and fall seem to be playing tug of war here in southern IN, so I am enjoying the best of both seasons! It looks like you read lots of good books this week. I loved The Hero and the Crown. The Zeros by Scott Westerfeld and others looks good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Six of Crows! Like you, I have been so eagerly awaiting this title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I still need to read An Ember in the Ashes, In the Shadows and Six of Crows!!! Too many awesome books out there!! We almost need all the authors to take a holiday, just so we readers can get caught up! LOL!

    Happy Reading!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks to me like you are a reading machine Kay! I've been hearing interesting things about Zeroes, but Six of Crows and many other titles are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read 21 books in a month (except maybe when I was a kid reading shorter books). That is impressive! I also admire how organized you are about your reviews. I have a back log of reviews some left over from last year that I still need to write. I should stop requesting new books in the meantime but I can't help myself!

    I hope you enjoy The Wrath and the Dawn. I liked that one and I loved Dumplin'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to find another Grisha trilogy fan - I absolutely fell in love with this series a year ago - and I also look forward to reading Six of Crows. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!