Monday, October 19, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (October 19, 2015)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

After regular school on Monday and Tuesday and parent-teacher conferences on Monday and Tuesday evenings, I had the rest of the week off. I spent my time off doing some more purging at my house and hauling the things I no longer need to the Salvation Army.

I also did some extra reading but mostly stories and novellas from anthologies that have been sitting on my TBR mountain for quite a while.

I spent all day Saturday at the Twin Cities Book Festival hanging out in the Middle Grade and Teen Tents. I had a chance to hear so many authors speak, have them sign my autograph books, and buy books for them to autograph too. It was the first time I had a chance to meet John Flanagan and Julie Kagawa. I also saw again some authors I had met before. I thought I exercised remarkable restraint because I managed to buy only 5 books. I also bought a copy of A Thousand Nights by E. K. Johnston that I didn't picture below. I bought this one to donate since I've already read the ARC.

Please visit this link and sign up for a chance to win a box of adult mysteries - both finished and ARCs. The contest ends on Halloween and I have not gotten very many entries. US only, I'm afraid. It is a large box and shipping is too expensive to send it outside the US. 

Read Last Week
In the Shadows by Kiersten White and Jim Di Bartolo was a interesting combination of novel and graphic novel. I enjoyed both stories and how they came together at the end. My review will be posted on December 10.

The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine was an entertaining fantasy novel. I particularly enjoyed watching the main character find her place in the world. My review will be posted on Dec. 31 for this January release.

Currently
Next on my stack is Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld, Margo Lanagan, and Deborah Biancotti.

Next Week
Next up on the reading list are The Unquiet Past by Kelley Armstrong and Dumplin' by Julie Murphy.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
The Capture by Tom Isbell is the sequel to The Prey and the middle book of a trilogy. I got the ARC from the author when I met him at the Twin Cities Book Festival. The book will be released on January 19.

I also got Project Alpha by D. J. MacHale at the festival. It is the first of six books in a multi-author middle grade science fiction series.
I also got The Shadow Behind the Stars by Rebecca Hahn at the festival. This is a standalone fantasy based on Greek mythology.

Nicola Yoon signed my copy of Everything, Everything at the festival too. I have heard all sorts of good things about this contemporary story.
I got a chance to meet John Flanagan at the book festival too. He autographed my copy of his newest book - The Tournament at Gorlan - which begins a prequel series to the Ranger's Apprentice.

The Masked Truth by Kelley Armstrong arrived in the mail this week too.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

8 comments:

  1. The book festival sounds like a really fun event! Glad you got to meet so many good authors and pick up some books. I liked Everything, Everything and Dumplin'. I'm curious about The Impostor Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book festival sounds like fun! I'm impressed with your restraint! I'm looking forward to reading Zeroes. I love everything I've read by Westerfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cleaning things out. :)

    Nice on the book festival.

    Have a great week....looks like you had a good reading week last week and good books.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the comments about. That book festival sounds like a lot of fun. I'm interested in Zeroes by Scott Westerfeld. I haven't read all of his work, but I loved his Leviathan series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, a book festival! I went to a library conference once, and came back with so many ARCs in my suitcase that the border guard gave me raised eyebrow and said "what are you going to do with all these books?", to which I responded with some surprise, "read them, of course!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answer.

    What else would you do with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I've heard so many things about Dumplin! Maybe I'll try it if I keep hearing good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I own a few Scott Westerfeld novels but haven't gotten around to reading them yet! Very soon. Dumplin does look very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!