Monday, October 26, 2015

State of the Stack (October 26, 2015)

This is my monthly State of the Stack post. It is my way to keep track of my review books and to hopefully reduce the stack that I have waiting for me. I take a look at my review commitments on the last Monday of each month. Please feel free to join in and let me know the state of your stack.

Here is my Review Books Spreadsheet I list them in publication order and sort them by month. I can quickly see how many books I have for each date. Ideally, this keeps me from over-committing to review books. Check my spreadsheet to find out where I got each book.

I also do this post because sometimes (frequently) review books sit on my stack for a while before I read and review them. I try to read and review books within two weeks of publication date. Sometimes I can't, though, if too many books are releasing on the same date or if the book arrives too near its publication date and my calendar is already full.

I am very grateful to the authors and publishers who support my reading habit.

My Review Pile

December
Haunting Investigation by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (Dec. 31)

January
Teen Frankenstein by Chandler Baker (Jan. 12)
Secrets of the Dragon Tomb by Patrick Samphire (Jan. 12)
 The Eighth Circle by Sarah Cain (Jan. 12)
The Capture by Tom Isbell (Jan. 19)
 Friday Barnes Girl Detective by R. A. Spratt (Jan. 19)
Sword and Verse by Kathy MacMillan (Jan. 19)
The Mystery of Hollow Places by Rebecca Podos (Jan. 26)

February
 Burning Midnight by Will McIntosh (Feb. 2)
Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers (Feb. 2)
 Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan (Feb. 9)
The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig (Feb. 16)
The Shadow Queen by C. J. Redwine (Feb. 23)
Tumbled Graves by Brenda Chapman (Feb. 26)

March
 Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie (March 1)
A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro (March 1)
 The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins (March 8)
A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann (March 15)
The Inn Between by Marina Cohen (March 22)
The Girl in the Tower by Lisa Schroeder (March 29)

April
Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima (April 5)
Mr. Fahrenheit by T. Michael Martin (April 19)
Cold Girl by R. M. Greenaway (April 19)

I Read This Month

These are listed in the order I read them. Links go to my reviews for all that have been posted already. Otherwise, the date the review is scheduled for is listed.
  1. In the Company of Wolves by Paige Tyler (Dec. 2)
  2. Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood (Dec. 3)
  3. Secret Sisters by Jayne Ann Krentz (Dec. 3)
  4. The Producer's Daughter by Lindsay Marcott (Nov. 11)
  5. The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine (Dec. 31)
  6. Tenacity by J. S. Law (Oct. 29) 
  7. Clean Sweep by Ilona Andrews (Oct. 31) 
  8. Tracks of Her Tears by Melinda Leigh (Nov. 18)
  9. Dead in Her Tracks by Kendra Elliott (Nov. 18)
Read Previously, Reviews Posted This Month
  1. A Thousand Nights by E. K. Johnston (Sept. 30)
  2. Spinning Starlight by R. C. Lewis (Oct. 1)
  3. Autumn Moon by Jan DeLima (Oct. 1)
  4. The White Rose by Amy Ewing (Oct. 3)
  5. Sinner's Steel by Sarah Castille (Oct. 3)
  6. Thirty and a Half Excuses by Denise Grover Swank (Oct. 6)
  7. Silent City by Carrie Smith (Oct. 7)
  8. Dreamstrider by Lindsay Smith (Oct. 7)
  9. Ice Like Fire by Sara Raasch (Oct. 8)
  10. Newt's Emerald by Garth Nix (Oct. 10)
  11. Dead Investigation by Charlie Price (Oct. 14)
  12. A Sliver of Stardust by Marissa Burt (Oct. 15)
  13. Losers Take All by David Klass (Oct. 17)
  14. These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly (Oct. 22)
  15. Nine Lives by Wendy Corsi Staub (Oct. 22)
I Added These Books

These are listed in the order I received them. Links go to Amazon. Date received and date published are listed in parentheses.
  1. Thirty and a Half Excuses by Denise Grover Swank (Oct. 13)
  2. The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine (Jan. 5)
  3. The Producer's Daughter by Lindsay Marcott (Nov. 10)
  4. Tenacity by J. S. Law (Nov. 3)
  5. The Capture by Tom Isbell (Jan. 19)
  6. Tracks of Her Tears by Melinda Leigh (Nov. 10)
  7. Dead in Her Tracks by Kendra Elliott (Nov. 17)
  8. Cold Girl by RM Greenaway (March 26)
  9. Sweep in Peace by Ilona Andrews (Nov. 13)
Next Month's Plan

I have had a gap in my review stack that has let me spend a lot of time reading books from my TBR mountain. I am also staying ahead. I have only one review book in December before I start January's books. 

Since a lot of the adult books I get for review have much quicker turnaround times that the YAs on my stack being so far ahead isn't necessarily an advantage. I seem to spend a lot of time rearranging my already scheduled blog posts to fit in new arrivals so that the reviews are near publication dates of the books. 

I suppose that is actually a good problem to have as I have reviews on my adult blog scheduled into February. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you really do plan ahead, don't you?

    I didn't know that Chelsea Quinn Yarbo was still writing. Hotel Transylvania was one of my favorite books as a kid, though it was much too adult for a person the age I was when I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more we read...the more books we add!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!