Monday, November 23, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Nov. 23, 2015)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

We had a cold, rainy, windy week this past week. Friday night we got our first snow of the season and Saturday morning snow was still coating the ground. It looks like our winter has finally arrived. This first snow is actually a little late for my part of Minnesota but I was grateful for every snow-free day. Other than the weather, it was a quiet week.

My big news is that the fences have disappeared from our Elementary parking lot. Getting from my car to the building has been like threading a maze since last May. One day when I got into the building I demanded a food reward since I felt like a rat who had successfully navigated an ever-changing maze. This means two things: first, winter is arriving and fences make snow removal very difficult, and, second, the construction project is finally reaching its finishing phase. Ideally the new parts of the building will be open and in use after our Christmas Break. Preschool will then be part of our Elementary and people will be back in their permanent locations. I'm excited to learn my way around our new building.

With Thanksgiving this upcoming week, I will get a couple of extra days off. I won't be traveling this year as my brother has to work every day that I would be able to spend with him. We are going to try to get together at Christmas but it will depend on his work schedule and the weather. I am a fair weather driver and have no desire to drive through a snowstorm or get stranded in Duluth when I should be back at work.

Read Last Week
Underwater by Marisa Reichardt was an account of the aftermath of a school shooting told from a survivor's point of view. Our heroine has many issues to deal with including guilt and an extreme case of agoraphobia. I loved the story. My review will be posted on January 6.

Secrets of the Dragon Tomb by Patrick Samphire was a great middle grade adventure that takes place on Mars in 1816. It is full of action and adventure and would make a good read-aloud. My review will be posted on January 7.

Currently
The Capture by Tom Isbell is the sequel to The Prey. This is a dystopia that I got from the author for review. I enjoyed the first book.

Next Week
The next two books on my review stack are Friday Barnes Girl Detective by R. A. Spratt and Sword and Verse by Kathy MacMillan. Both will be released in January.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I added two books to my stack this week. I bought Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho after reading a great review of it.

I got the eARC of With Malice by Eileen Cook from Edelweiss. I was intrigued by the description and HMH Books for Children approved my request. Usually I just content myself with the books I can download without approval but decided to give this one a try. It will be released next June 7.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! I'm glad things are wrapping up on the school construction project.

    We didn't get any snow yet except for brief flurries yesterday. I am holding out hope that we won't see accumulating snow till after Christmas due to El Niño.

    I am curious about both Sword and Verse and Underwater. Both sound really interesting so I look forward to your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you've been reading some interesting books. I too lived through school construction - It can be a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you'll enjoy the new renovations, Kathy, and Happy Thanksgiving. Underwater does sound good, but I'm not sure I want to read it. I put it on my list, though. Thanks for sharing all you read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Seeing a lot of Sword and Verse lately! Hope you enjoy it too!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bookseller friend of mine gave me one of her proof copies of Sorcerer to the Crown and I can't wait to dig into it. :) Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!