Saturday, December 26, 2015

Book Review: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Series: Six of Crows (Book 1)
Publication: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (September 29, 2015)

Description: Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price--and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.
A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.
A runaway with a privileged past.
A spy known as the Wraith.
A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.
A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction--if they don't kill each other first.

My Thoughts: SIX OF CROWS was a wonderful example of a heist novel. It probably says something about my age that I keep seeing The A Team - the old one with George Peppard and Mr. T - while I was reading.

Ketterdam is a bustling port town run by merchants but there is a well-developed criminal underworld there too. Kaz Brekker has been making a place for himself in that underworld since the death of his brother at age nine. Only the ruthless survive the life and Kaz is certainly ruthless. He has gathered a crew around him. Inej is a Suli acrobat who was abducted and sold in slavery into a house of prostitution in Ketterdam. Kaz bought out her contract and new she works for him as a spy. Jesper is a sharpshooter and gambling addict who is hiding his Grisha inheritance as a fabrikator. Nina is also a Grisha who happens to be a heartrender. She is stuck in Ketterdam until she makes things right with Matthias who is currently a convict but who is a druskelle whose mission is to capture and execute all Grisha. Wylan is an explosives expert and a runaway from his merchant family.

Kaz is hired by Wylan's father to break into the Ice Court - an impenetrable fortress - and liberate a scientist who has developed a way to enhance Grisha powers to an unbelievable  level. Unfortunately for the Grisha, the drug is instantly addictive and the Grisha quickly dies. Kaz isn't interested in an impossible mission until the price rises high enough. Once it does, he recruits his team and they are off.

I enjoyed the interactions between the various members of the team and liked that different chapters were narrated by different characters. I didn't like Kaz very much at first because he was so ruthless but I came to understand him better as I read the chapters from his viewpoint and learned what it was the made him who he is when the story takes place.

The world building was fascinating as it takes place in a different part of the Grisha universe we first saw in the first Grisha trilogy and lets us see more of the world. I liked the magic and I liked the intrigue.

The book was well-plotted and kept throwing in surprises. The book was also filled with action and adventure. I can't wait to read the next book in this series to find out what Kaz and his crew have in mind next.

Favorite Quote:
"Keep Wylan out of trouble," he told Jesper as he dismissed them.

"Why me?"

"You're unlucky enough to be in my line of sight, and I don't want any sudden reconciliations between father and son before we set sail."

"You don't need to worry about that," said Wylan.

"I worry about everything, merchling. That's why I'm still alive. And you can keep an eye on Jesper, too."
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

2 comments:

  1. OOh nice! I've heard soooo many good things about this book! I still need to read it but I can't wait to do so! Will be doing my best to make it a top priority come 2016! Just have a few review books I need to finish first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen many great reviews of this one. I will need to get to it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!