Friday, December 18, 2015

Friday Memes: The Tournament at Gorlan by John Flanagan

Happy Friday everybody!!
Book Beginnings on Friday is now hosted by Rose City Reader. The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice. Check out the links above for the rules and for the posts of the participants each week. Don’t dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.

Beginning:
It had been raining for a week.
Friday 56:
"So why would he try to weaken the Ranger Corps?" Halt asked, although he thought he knew the answer.

"Because the Rangers are loyal to the King, first and foremost. They're a powerful force and if you were trying to assume power in the Kingdom, they'd be a major stumbling block."
This week I am spotlighting The Tournament at Gorlan by John Flanagan. This is the first book in his new Ranger's Apprentice prequel series. Here is the description from Amazon:
When Halt and Crowley discover that the ambitious Morgarath has been infiltrating the Rangers in order to corrupt the Corps, the young Rangers travel north to find Prince Duncan, seeking a royal warrant to stop Morgarath before it is too late. By weakening the Rangers, the most powerful force in support of the King, Morgarath plans to steal the throne.

Yet when Halt and Crowley arrive in Gorlan, they discover just how close Morgarath’s scheme is to success. Morgarath has a plan to discredit the Prince and alienate him from his father. At the same time, the Baron of Gorlan has been conspiring to win the trust and admiration of the Council of Barons to further his plan. If the young Rangers are to prevent the coup from succeeding, they will have to tread a dangerous path, which leads them to a thrilling climax at the annual tournament at Gorlan, where a series of bitter duels must be fought and won.

This origin story brings readers to a time before Will was an apprentice, and lays the groundwork for the epic battles that will culminate with The Ruins of Gorlan and The Burning Bridge—Books 1 and 2 of the Ranger’s Apprentice series.

6 comments:

  1. I love the cover and the snippet. I need to find time to look into this author. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to the opening sentence. Seems like it's been raining here for a month! This sounds like a good, action-filled story that I'd enjoy.
    My Friday post features THE LOCKET.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like an exciting book. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover makes it seem exciting and the snippets intrigue me!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it was nice to see the sun today! Sounds like lots of intrigue in this book.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/12/18/the-friday-56-89-murder-and-other-unnatural-disasters/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read the first book in the series and I would love to continue it!


    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings), my Top Ten Tuesday, and my current giveaway.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!