Monday, December 21, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 21, 2015)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

I got to drive home from work in our first snow of the season on Friday. I even had to brush off and scrape my windshields. Of course it was over about an hour later and Saturday and Sunday are supposed to get warm enough to melt the snow. (I'm writing this Saturday morning.)

I seem to have entered the first reading slump that I can recall. I just haven't been in the mood to read this past week. It shows in my accomplishments. I do have some books I want to get to during my Christmas break which starts at 1:30 PM on Tuesday and lasts until January 4. But I'm not sure what I'm going to read. I may pick some old favorites off the shelf to see if I can get my reading mojo back.
Read Last Week
The Iron Warrior by Julie Kagawa was a great conclusion to a series that I have really enjoyed. It was filled with epic battles and personal battles too. I got to see many favorite characters from other books in the series. My review will be posted on January 23.

Assassin's Heart by Sarah Ahiers was an excellent fantasy by a debut author. I enjoyed the world building. The characters were also very interesting people. My review for this first of the February review books on my stack will be posted on January 28.

Currently
Burning Midnight by Will McIntosh is also a February release from my review stack. It sounds like an exciting adventure.

Next Week
Jockey Girl by Shelley Peterson is another from my review stack. This sounds like an interesting contemporary story.

Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan begins a new fantasy series. I have enjoyed other books by the author and have high hopes for this one too.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey was offered by Macmillan at NetGalley. This historical romance/mystery sounded good. It will be released on April 19.

The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows was a Kindle Daily Deal for $1.99 one day this week. I had read the first twelve chapters from Edelweiss and always wanted to know more but didn't want to enough to pay full price.
I received a print ARC of The Nameless City by Faith Erin Hicks this week. It was a surprise as I don't recall asking for it and seldom read graphic novels. I did read one of her other graphic novels and enjoyed it though and fantasy is a genre I enjoy. This one will be released on April 5.

I had asked for Flawed by Cecelia Ahern from Macmillan at NetGalley a while ago because I liked the description of this dystopian story. I was approved this week the day before the book became a Read Now selection. It will be released on April 5.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

8 comments:

  1. It snowed on Friday on my way to visit my sister but the snow didn't stick to the ground. We still haven't had any accumulation which I'm grateful for!

    I want to read a lot of the books on your list this week, especially Assassin's Heart. I'm curious about the new Sophie Jordan novel too and look forward to your review of it.

    I hate reading slumps and hope you find some good books to read during your Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of the Kagawa series. But Love Lies and Spies caught my eye. I love historical YA novels and there aren't that many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's rainy and warmish here in Ohio - not at all Christmasey. Looks like you have some good reading plans! I hope they help you get over your reading slump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, snow....a word that strikes terror into the hearts of all Vancouverites...honestly, the lightest dusting of snow on the ground and my entire city shuts down. Thankfully it's been quite warm this winter, lots of rain, but at least we can all get to work. :)

    Reading slumps are the worst, but trying to force yourself to read just makes it worse, by turning reading into a chore. Probably once the madness of the holidays is over you'll find your reading inspiration again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I loved The Iron Warrior!! Glad you enjoyed it too! ooh Reign of Shadows! So cannot wait to read that one!! I put Orphan Queen on my Xmas list, so I'm hoping my bestie comes through for me! LOL!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm envious of your snow! (We haven't had any yet, but I can't complain about the temperature.) Enjoy your break! All of these books look good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, I'm not sure if I envy you the snow. I would like a bit for Christmas. Oh those reading slumps. I have found that listening to audiobooks, or reading and adult book helps me get through them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you have some nice reading to do. I get into reading slumps too, but with Christmas coming, maybe there'll be new books under the tree. It's supposed to be 73 degrees on Christmas here in NYC, more like Christmas in Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!