Monday, December 28, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 28, 2015)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

I had a really quiet Christmas since I didn't travel this year. I got to spend a lot of time reading and blogging. When comparing my spreadsheet of review books and my calendar, I discovered that I had forgotten to earmark spots on my calendar for two books. This led to some rearranging of my calendar, rescheduling blog posts, and creating new posts.

I also spent some time scheduling Waiting on Wednesday posts for some of the new HarperCollins books from Edelweiss that I couldn't fit into my reviewing schedule. Currently I have 47 posts scheduled and ready to go. I also have thirteen book review posts waiting for my thoughts after I finish reading the book. Those posts will take care of all of February.

I have a couple of projects I want to tackle around the house this coming week. I am trying to de-clutter and get more organized. Every cupboard and closet needs to be examined for things I no longer need. I don't live in a large house but there are a surprising number of locations where I have stored things that I may or may not need.

I also have a school project that I want to tackle. I'm creating a new game for my elementary kids to help them learn both alphabetization and the way the library is organized. I see cutting and gluing in my future. I had been saving this for a "snow day" project but our current weather doesn't make snow days look likely.

We did manage a white Christmas by virtue of the inch or two of snow that fell on Wednesday. It also snowed some on Saturday. We have gotten enough to make the streets slippery but not enough for the eager snowmobilers or even kids wanting to make a snowman.

Read Last Week
Burning Midnight by Will McIntosh is an excellent science fiction story. It is McIntosh's first YA. It is a well done "group of teens saves Earth from disaster" story. I enjoyed the characters and the plot. My review will be posted on January 30.

Currently
I am currently reading Curio by Evangeline Denmark. So far, the cover is the best part of it and I am finding the story a bit slow.

Next Week

Next on my stack are some of my February review books.
Jockey Girl by Shelley Peterson (Feb. 8)
Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan (Feb. 9)
These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker (Feb. 9)
The Girl from Everywhere by Heidi Heilig (Feb. 16) - This is one of two books that just about fell through the cracks. 

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

HarperCollins added a bunch of books to Edelweiss this week. I tried to use restraint and not download all of them but it was really, really hard to limit myself to just these. Mostly, I limited myself to one release a week since I am still waiting to see what I'll get from Macmillan.
Curio by Evangeline Denmark is the only new book I didn't get from Edelweiss. I was invited by Zonderkidz-Books to download this one at NetGalley. I liked the cover and the description and thought I'd give this January 5 release a try.

Ferals 2: The Swarm Descends by Jacob Grey will be released on April 26. I've read the first book in this series.

Traitor Angels by Anne Blankman will be released on May 3.
The May Queen Murders by Sarah Jude will also be released on May 3.

Spark by Holly Schindler will be released on May 17.

The Hunt by Megan Shepherd will be released on May 24. I have read the first book in this series.
The Underdogs by Sarah Hammel will be released on May 31.

Autofocus by Lauren Gibaldi will be released on June 14.
The Marked Girl by Lindsey Klingele will be released on June 21.

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab will be released on July 5.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

8 comments:

  1. Will put Burning Midnight on my list. You've made it sound good, Kathy. I have Six of Crows, will get to it soon I think. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am amazed at how many blog posts you have ready. Wow! I am usually writing my posts the night before or the day it goes up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in Dumplin'. And yeah I'm amazed with your blogging schedule. I try my best to be organized, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep hearing about Dumplin' - putting it on my must read list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to stop reading Dumplin' when they made fun of the girl who wears a shoe lift - they compared her walking to Frankenstein. My daughter currently has a 6 inch shoe lift and I couldn't bear reading any more. The character probably didn't show up too much more but I just couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh nice! Excited for Reign of Shadows and very curious about The Girl from Everywhere! Hope you have a great reading week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely loved Six of Crows and reviewed it in my blog as well - and wow to preparing blog posts as much as the whole of February! Wow! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It takes all of my willpower not to download every ARC that crosses my path... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!