Monday, December 7, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Dec. 7, 2015)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

This was another quiet week with lovely weather for December in Minnesota. We are expecting temperatures in the 40s which began on Friday to continue for the next week. Needless to say, we haven't any snow. My cross-country skiing friends are lamenting but I like being snow-free. Big, puffy flakes on Christmas Eve would be enough for me.

Our contract negotiators had a mediation session on Thursday and have come to a tentative contract agreement. We'll see it and be voting early next week. Our health insurance costs have caused our members with family insurance to take a pay cut of about $400 a month. I can see why they want a good settlement. I'm not on the school district insurance any more since I reached Medicare age. I wasn't feeling their pain.

On the blogging front, I got the Macmillan Spring 2016 catalog and requested 11 ARCs. They say that they fill requests on a first come, first served basis. We'll see how many I get when I request on the first day they are available. I concentrated on mysteries and middle grade books this time.

Read Last Week
Sword and Verse by Kathy MacMillan was an excellent fantasy with a strong, sympathetic main character. It also had a very nice romance woven into the story. My review will be posted on January 14.

After starting a book and not being able to get into it, I reached for Manners & Mutiny by Gail Carriger and quickly found myself involved. I really enjoyed this concluding volume of the Finishing School series. My review will be posted on January 9.

Currently
I chose The Iron Warrior by Julie Kagawa from my stack with mixed feelings. I always enjoy Kagawa's writing but I had that her Iron Fey series is ending with this book.

Next Week
Three from my review stack are coming up this week.
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I added two ebook bargains to my stack this week.

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli has been showing up on my radar frequently lately. When it showed up on my email bargain list, I had to buy a copy.

Greensleeves by Eloise Jarvis McGraw is a reissue of a book from the 60s. Nancy Pearl says it is one that shouldn't be missed. I read other books by the author (probably in the 60s) but don't remember reading this one.
I was browsing other $1.99 Kindle books and decided I need to read these someday too.
You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

7 comments:

  1. I always thought Dorothy Must Die looked great. I hope you enjoy it, and awesome that it was only $1.99! Have a fantastic week!

    My Monday post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Seeing Sword and Verse around a lot lately! I loved the ending to The Iron Warrior! Hope you enjoy and enjoyed all your reads!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-Up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been having lovely weather for December in Massachusetts as well. I am just fine without any snow! I checked the link to find out more about Dorothy Must Die. It sounds very twisted. I look forward to reading your review when you do get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will enjoy Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. it is an interesting read. I've got Manners and Mutiny waiting for me. I've even got the book in a pile, but I've listened to the earlier books and am not sure if I want to change media. Although I really really love this series! Happy reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to find Simon vs the Homo Sapiens agenda - but been reading a lot of great reviews about it. Looking forward to reading your thoughts about it. The Mystery of Hollow Places also caught my eye - have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simon is on my pile this week, hoping to finish it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo, I hadn't noticed that Manners and Mutiny was out yet -- thanks for the heads up. I've been enjoying that series.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!