Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Spotlight: The White Tiger: A Hero's Compulsion by Tamara Pierce

I have decided that 2016 is the year when I take a look at books on my TBR mountain and read them or donate them. I'm starting with the books that have been on the stack the longest. Hopefully by the end of 2016, my TBR mountain will be only a foothill.

The oldest book on my stack is White Tiger: A Hero's Compulsion by Tamara Pierce, Timothy Liebe and Phil Brionnes. I bought this one on June 16, 2008. I bought it on the strength of Tamara Pierce's name since I love her young adult fantasies. But it's a graphic novel and I am not a fan of the whole genre. I prefer meatier stories.

Here is the description from Amazon:
Roaring out of the pages of Daredevil, the new White Tiger makes a ferocious debut, courtesy of the dynamic scripting of New York Times best-selling fantasy author Tamora Pierce (Trickster's Queen, The Will of the Empress) and masterful penciling of rising star Phil Briones (La Geste des Chevaliers-Dragons, Les Seigneurs d'Agartha). Angela del Toro knows pain: Her uncle - Hector Ayala, the former White Tiger - killed. Her FBI partner, murdered. Her career, ruined. Her mentor, Matt Murdock, jailed. And the hurt is just beginning. The Yakuza's bloodthirsty Sano Orii returns, a genocidal shadow organization appears, and a new-but-old super-powered madman is looking to put the squeeze on White Tiger. Armed with mystical amulets - and finally in costume - White Tiger demands answers! But will she survive long enough to ask the right questions? Collects White Tiger #1-6.
My Review: The pictures were nice but the story confused me. I learned more from the back flap and from the character profile at the back of the book than I did from the graphic novel. I think the main problem is that I don't know enough about the various superheroes who appeared in this story. There was some cool dialogue with lots of references to the pop culture of the time when it was created ten years ago. I liked the sarcastic reference to Miami Vice.

I quickly realized that reading a graphic novel requires some skills that I don't necessarily have. Even the flow of the story on the page required some concentration on my part. I can understand why my students enjoy graphic novels - colorful graphics, minimal text and lots of action. I feel sure that they will enjoy this one once it gets into my Media Center too.

Favorite Quote:
"He's walking out. Piece of crap is walking right out of the front door of the Federal Court House."

"That's why God invented lawyers." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!