Saturday, January 2, 2016

ARC Review: Teen Frankenstein by Chandler Baker

Teen Frankenstein
Author: Chandler Baker

Series: High School Horror

Publication: Feiwel & Friends (January 12, 2016)

Description: It was a dark and stormy night when Tor Frankenstein accidentally hits someone with her car. And kills him. But, all is not lost-Tor, being the scientific genius she is, brings him back to life...

Thus begins a twisty, turn-y take on a familiar tale, set in the town of Hollow Pines, Texas, where high school is truly horrifying.

My Thoughts: TEEN FRANKENSTEIN tells the story of Tor Frankenstein, a high school junior, who has an obsession with science. Tor and her partner Owen have been doing an unusual sort of experiment for their high school science fair. They are trying to reanimate the dead but are having no success. One rainy night Tor is driving home and hits a boy. He dies and she decides to try her experiment on him. This time it works.

Tor names the boy Adam because he has no memory of his name. In fact, he has no memory at all. Tor and Own decide to bring him along with him at school. Adam has more or less imprinted on Tor, though he calls her Victoria, but Tor only sees him as an experiment, something she made.

Adam displays a remarkable talent for football and, with Tor's encouragement, finds a girlfriend. But there are some problems. Adam runs down and Tor has to give him frequent electrical shocks to have him regain his energy. The part of the book that creeped me out the most was that Adam screamed every time Tor shocked him.

But, also creepy, is the fact that someone in town in killing young boys and removing parts. A leg here, another leg there, a set of eyes... Tor and Owen become suspicious and think that Adam might be the one.

The driving force of this story is Tor who is obsessive, driven, and to my mind, lacks the ethics that a good scientist should have. I felt sorry for Adam who didn't deserve all the things that Tor did to him or the way she treated him. I also felt sorry for Owen who kept trying to wedge in some reality but who remained Tor's loyal sidekick.

Fans of the creepy will enjoy reading TEEN FRANKENSTEIN.

Favorite Quote:
"Were you even listening to me?" Owen scratched behind his ear. "Because sometimes I get this weird sense that the voices in you head are way louder than the voices out here." He drew a circle in the air with his pencil eraser.
I got this ARC from Macmillan. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!