Thursday, February 4, 2016

ARC Review: Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan

Reign of Shadows
Author: Sophie Jordan
Series: Reign of Shadows (Book 1)
Publication: HarperTeen (February 9, 2016)

Description: Destiny and darkness collide in this romantic, sweeping new fantasy series from New York Times bestselling author Sophie Jordan.

Seventeen years ago, an eclipse cloaked the kingdom of Relhok in perpetual darkness. In the chaos, an evil chancellor murdered the king and queen and seized their throne. Luna, Relhok's lost princess, has been hiding in a tower ever since. Luna's survival depends on the world believing she is dead.

But that doesn't stop Luna from wanting more. When she meets Fowler, a mysterious archer braving the woods outside her tower, Luna is drawn to him despite the risk. When the tower is attacked, Luna and Fowler escape together. But this world of darkness is more treacherous than Luna ever realized.

With every threat stacked against them, Luna and Fowler find solace in each other. But with secrets still unspoken between them, falling in love might be their most dangerous journey yet.

My Thoughts: A cliffhanger ending signals that this book begins a series but the journey to get to this unresolved ending was wonderful. The story stars Luna who has been raised in an isolated tower deep in a haunted woods by her wet nurse and a loyal soldier. They fled with her when she was born since a disloyal counselor who wanted the throne murder her father the king and her mother the queen. The rebellion coincided with the Eclipse which turned the world dark and allowed the rise of dweller and other creatures that hunt in the dark.

Luna has learned to handle herself well in her isolated world but she is outgrowing it. She wants to see what is outside despite the many dangers. Her danger is magnified because she is blind. However, her blindness has allowed her to greatly develop her other senses and she does well inside the world she knows.

One night she ventures out alone to gather a birthday gift for her loyal soldier and comes upon a group of humans. One of them was caught in one of the traps set around her tower. She brings them back to the tower despite the danger from the dwellers. They are three chance met travelers. The youngest boy is the one who was injured. He is traveling with his sister. The other traveler is Fowler who is used to surviving alone and who doesn't want to gather any sort of baggage in the form of people who will depend on him.

Fowler becomes the other viewpoint character in the story and his own backstory gradually unfolds when he and Luna are forced to set off to find a place of safety when the new evil king's soldiers manage to track down the hidden tower.

The two have many adventures as they travel and get to know each other. An encounter with a couple of other hunters lets them both know that the king is killing all young women in Luna's age range. Obviously he fears that a true heir to the throne exists. Fowler tries to convince Luna to continue on with their plans to go to a place that could offer safety but Luna wants to go to the king to sacrifice herself in the hopes that it will save the lives of other young women.

I enjoyed this story very much as I got to know a sheltered princess who had outgrown her protected tower and a young man who had lost hope and was gradually finding it again in love for Luna. I can't wait to read the next book!

Favorite Quote:
Fear. Want. An ache for something more tat went bone deep. I wanted. I needed. I had felt a fraction of this yearning when I sat beside my window, hugging my knees to my chest as I breathed in the outside world, thinking that maybe someday I would find a life beyond the tower. Wit a grunt, I hauled the wooden bucket up to the stone edge of the window. These feelings had become more intense, more pressing since he arrived here, and when he left, he would not be taking them with him. the feelings would stay long after he departed. They would be with me always.
I got this ARC from Edelweiss. You can buy your copy here.

2 comments:

  1. Hate to hear that about the cliffhanger. I'm over halfway through, and enjoying it! These days it seems I almost expect the cliff, and am pleasantly surprised if there isn't one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoh nice! Hearing amazing things about this one...despite a cliffhanger of some magnitude! I find myself speculating already about this cliffhanger and it's driving me insane already! LOL! I love the sounds of this and cannot wait to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!