Monday, February 15, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (Feb. 15, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

This was a quiet week spent nursing my cough and cold. My energy is minimal so I've been going to bed early and just vegging out on the couch when I'm not at work. That should be an opportunity to read but I've been playing mindless video games instead. Part of that was because the book I should have been reading wasn't keeping my attention. I thought it was poorly written with awful dialogue. When one of the characters supposedly died, I just about cheered only to be disappointed when I learned it wasn't him. Now, I'm not sure how much of the issue was the book and how much was must my mood. After struggling with it for three days, I abandoned the book 150 pages in and tried something else which was much more readable.

This coming week is a busier than normal one. Our townhouse association meeting is on Tuesday evening and our rescheduled Continuing Education Committee meeting is on Thursday after school. The good part about that meeting is that I can count the time spent as hours for the snow day make-up I have to do.

Read Last Week
A Drop of Night by Stefan Bachmann was a slightly scary science fiction story where a group of teens finds themselves trapped in an underground palace and has to avoid perils while trying to find their way out. I liked the adventure but it took a while to warm up to the main character. My review will be posted on March 10.

Currently
I'm taking a break from review books and reading Uprooted by Naomi Novik. I have heard so many good things about this book.

Next Week
I'm continuing my break from review books by finally reading Winter by Marissa Meyer. I've had it since the day it was released and been eager to get to it.

Then, it's back to review books with The Inn Between by Marina Cohen which will be released on March 22.

Reviews Posted

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
This week saw three additions to my review stack.

Nightstruck by Jenna Black is a new paranormal with some reminder of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I got this eARC from Tor Teen through NetGalley. It will be released on April 5.

I got a second print ARC of The Nameless City by Faith Erin Hicks. This graphic novel came from Macmillan. It will also be released on April 5.

Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan was a NetGalley find. It is a supernatural mystery from Knopf which will be released on June 7.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

9 comments:

  1. I looked at Drop of Nigh but can't remember if I downloaded it. Isn't Netgalley great when you're stuck at home? Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are feeling better this week. I find it difficult to concentrate on reading when I'm sick. I usually just watch episodes of Friends or other TV shows so I don't have to pay much attention. Last spring I stayed home from work with a bad cold and I watched Anne of Green Gables. That cheered me up :)

    I just read These Vicious Masks and I liked it. I think my review is scheduled for this week or next week. I have been trying to do a better job of writing reviews soon after I finish a book.

    I loved Winter and I'm glad you get to read it now. I wouldn't have been able to wait that long! Hope you enjoy it :) I haven't read anything by Naomi Novik. I look forward to your thoughts on this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is to feeling better! A Drop of the Night sounds like just the book for quite a few of my readers. I'm having a hard time (and that is a good thing!) keeping up with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot of books that look very interesting to read. I hope you're feeling better this week. Sometimes it's hard to read when you just don't feel well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha it's definitely a sign that a book isn't working for you when instead of being sad when a main character is killed off you actually cheer. I've been there too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're feeling better! There's nothing worse that feeling sick AND not wanting to read the book you're in. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're feeling better. I like the cover of The Inn Between. The title is clever too. Thanks for the review of Vicious Masks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am determined to read Cinder this year! I have a feeling once I do, I'll be sucked in quickly to the series! I love anything to do with fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read so many great things about Uprooted - and really toying around with the idea of purchasing a copy for myself. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!