Monday, March 21, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (March 21, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

It has been another week of changeable weather in Minnesota. One day I haul out the spring jacket, the next day it's back to the winter one. I am enjoying having more daylight at the end of the day but am still trying to catch up from the lost hour of sleep. We have three four-day weeks in a row coming up at work as we get Friday and Monday off over Easter and then have the following Monday for staff in-service before we begin our final quarter.

I am hoping to get a little extra reading time with a couple extra days off. I won't be traveling except for a few hours up to the Cities for an author event. A friend and I are taking that road trip next Saturday. I can't wait to take lots of pictures and meet authors I haven't met before.

Read Last Week
All three books I read this past week were from my review stack.

Flawed by Cecelia Ahern was a dystopian story set in a plausible near future. I enjoyed the main character and the story but hated the cliffhanger ending. My review will be posted on April 2.

Nightstruck by Jenna Black was a paranormal set in the present day. It was creepy and filled with tension. I liked that it was a normal girl who was caught in a very paranormal situation. This was another one with a cliffhanger ending. My review will be posted on April 6.

Tell the Wind and Fire by Sarah Rees Brennan gave A Tale of Two Cities a dystopian twist by setting it in a New York City divided into two magical camps - the Dark and the Light. Revolution is brewing and our heroine, who just wants to keep her head down and live, finds herself the poster child for both sides of the upcoming conflict. My review will be posted on April 9.

Currently
Mr. Fahrenheit by T. Michael Martin is an eARC from Edelweiss. It combines science fiction with a coming of age story and got a starred review at Booklist.

Next Week
Still more review books are on the horizon for next week.
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
After finishing Winter by Marissa Meyer, I decided I needed to read the novellas and short stories set in the world and bought Stars Above.

I added two review books to my stack:
You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

8 comments:

  1. We had mixed weather in Ohio too. It started out warm and pleasant but by the end of the week I was wearing sweaters and my winter coat. Later this week it is supposed to warm up again.

    I like the sound of Tell the Wind and Fire. I still haven't read A Tale of Two Cities but I think I'd still like this one.

    I have Love, Lies and Spies on my upcoming TBR pile and really look forward to it. I liked Stars Above and hope you will too. I had previously read a few of the stories but several were published for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather has been so weird this winter! I hope that we all get some normality soon.
    I need to finish Meyer's series. I read and loved Cinder.

    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate those books that end on a cliff hanger! On principle, I refuse to read any more of the series. I enjoyed reading your review of Winter. It is one of few series that I actually went out of my way to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh nice! I just started Nightstruck and it's really freaky so far! I'm loving it! Hope you enjoy all your reads this week!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someday I may get to the Cinder series, but not soon. I have too many others in the pile. I will look for Mr. Fahrenheit, sounds good! Thanks, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read The Inn Between, and while it was kind of creepy, I ended up liking it. Once I read the ending, I wanted to go back an reread parts of it since now I understand what was really going on. I think I would feel comfortable with it in my classroom library, as it doesn't seem any scarier than some of the R.L. Stine books (and others) that my students seem to really enjoy. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a big fan of cliffhangers, either, just feels like a trick to get us to buy the next book! Have a great few short weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard that Winter is quite the long read. I enjoyed Cinder so I really am looking forward to reading the rest of the novels in the series.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!