Thursday, April 7, 2016

Book Review: Tommy McKnight and the Great Election by Danny Kravitz

Tommy McKnight and the Great Election
Author: Danny Kravitz
Series: Presidential Politics
Publication: Stone Arch Books (January 1, 2016)

Description: After a 10-year-old boy is stricken with polio, he must wear braces on his legs and walks with a limp. He becomes sad and depressed because he can no longer participate in the activities that used to bring him joy. On top of that, bullies pick on him and make fun of him because of his disability. But when the boy learns that Franklin Delano Roosevelt also has polio and yet he is running for president, the boy is inspired to stand up to the bullies and run for student government.

My Thoughts: This middle grade story takes place in 1932. FDR is running for president and becomes a role model for Tommy McKnight. Tommy's life changed greatly when he contracted polio. He walks with leg braces and using crutches for balance. He is dealing with his changed life and also dealing with Wally, the local bully, who calls him "polio legs." After learning that FDR also had polio, Tommy decides that he can fulfill his dream and run for student government.

We get to see what life was like in New York City in 1932. His best friends are immigrants. His physical therapist is from Haiti. The girl he is crushing on is a big fan of FDR. We see him standing in breadlines with his mother. We learn that his father has lost his job as a bookkeeper. We learn about the hope that FDR brought to the people.

This was a quick read but filled with interesting characters and about an interesting time period.

Favorite Quote:
I couldn't take my eyes off the little boy, and he couldn't take his eyes off FDR. I stood there watching him with his father. The boy's bright, smiling face was filled with hope. And I understood why.
I got this ARC from a publicist. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the nice review of my book. Glad you enjoyed it. (BTW, that's my favorite moment in the book too.)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!