Monday, May 16, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (May 16, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

A cold and rainy week was very helpful in keeping my students' minds on their schoolwork. With only 14 days left, teachers need every possible advantage. These last few weeks are filled with programs, field trips, and other distractions. I'll lose my elementary students for at least two days for track and field day and attendance at the fifth grade musical. I don't think I'll be losing my 6th graders anymore this year but I'm not sure. There is a middle school track and field day that might disrupt things.

We are having a bad year for teacher retention in my school district. We have already had 4 resignations at the high school and 2 at the elementary. Last year, we had one new staff member in the district. I know that a number of other teachers have applications and interviews in their future. A good part of the reason is the high cost of family insurance. Most teachers with that insurance plan have seen their take-home pay reduced for the last two years and, with a 22% insurance increase again for next year, it is just going to get worse. The cost of insurance is killing small school districts. Luckily, I'm old and not on the school insurance. Medicare and my supplemental policy are much less costly than what my fellow teachers are paying. This should be an interesting summer. Next year with a whole crop of new teachers should be interesting too.

I haven't yet heard if my proposed schedule for next year has been approved. The elementary principal and the high school principal have to fight it out. But the high school principal is so busy looking for new staff that he hasn't had time. This semester with only 15 minutes of elementary prep for five classes a day has been hard to manage.

I am very eager for summer vacation and a chance to refresh and reflect.

Read Last Week
Autofocus by Lauren Gibaldi was an engaging contemporary story about a girl trying to find out about her birth mother. My review will be posted on June 9.

The Haunting of Falcon House by Eugene Yelchin was a middle grade historical fiction book with a touch of horror. My review will be posted on June 11.

Currently
I'm currently reading All In by Jennifer Lynn Barnes which is the latest in her Naturals series.

Next Week
First, two from my review stack:
Then, if there is time, two from TBR mountain:
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

I added more to my review stack this week.
I got Paper and Fire by Rachel Caine from NetGalley. I enjoyed the first book in this fantasy series. This one will be released on July 5.

I also chose a few from HarperCollins from Edelweiss.

The Initiation by Ridley Pearson will be released on September 20.
Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst will be released on November 22.

Ryan Quinn and the Rebel's Escape by Ron McGee will be released on October 25.

Diplomatic Immunity by Brodi Ashton will be released on September 6.
The Emerald Tablet (Five Elements) by Dan Jolley will be released on October 18.

The Stranger Game by Cylin Busby will be released on October 25.

I downloaded one of the SYNC audiobook titles this week.
The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury and read by Amy Shiels sounded good to me.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

5 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your review of The Haunting of Falcon House - I really loved that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fascinating to get a glimpse of teaching behind-the-scenes and all the hard work that goes on outside the classroom to keep everything running smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of intriguing titles!

    We are having similar issues finding quality staff at our school - as a private school, we don't offer insurance at all and buying out of pocket means a HUGE pay cut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The insurance challenges happened each year at my school, too, Kathy. Our business manager continued to be creative and try to limit the increases.It's such a big problem. Thanks for sharing all the books, so many here to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a rough year all over. Thank goodness summer's coming soon (12 days). You've got some juicy looking titles for summertime reading. My To Read list is getting longer, and I can't wait to dive in! Have a terrific week!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!