Saturday, June 18, 2016

ARC Review: The Secret Fire by Whitaker Ringwald

The Secret Fire
Author: Whitaker Ringwald
Series: The Secret Box (Book 3)
Publication: Katherine Tegen Books (June 21, 2016)

Description: The third and final book in the critically acclaimed Secret Box trilogy, a series pitch-perfect for fans of humorous mystery capers like Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library and the Mysterious Benedict Society.

Who knew that insisting on opening a strange birthday present would lead to being kidnapped by an evil Greek god determined to conquer the world? Jax Malone certainly didn’t. But now she’s trapped in the back of a limo bound for Epimetheus’s secret lair. He wants to control the three ancient urns that used to belong to Pandora’s daughter. Magical urns that can suck hope, faith, and love out of the world.

Now Jax, Ethan, and Tyler’s only chance to fight Epimetheus’s formidable power might be to find a secret weapon—and to realize that their family ties are stronger than any magic.

My Thoughts: The Secret Box trilogy concludes with this exciting adventure. Jax, Ethan, and Tyler are cousins who all have very different personalities and strengths. Jax loves reading travel guides and tends to act before thinking. Ethan is the one who assesses every risk and can give you endless facts to prove his opinion. Tyler is the oldest who is drafted to go along on this adventure because he can drive and has a car. He is also very into video games and is designing one with some friends.

In this episode, they are trying to defeat Ricardo - also known and Epimetheus - who wants to gather the urns of Faith, Hope, and Love to use them to control all of mankind. He has the urn of faith which he is using to create minions and disciples. When he kidnaps Jax to force Ethan and Tyler to bring him the other urns, the two boys have to go to Olympus to get them. Tyler is thrilled to be able to get first hand information about cyclops because his game is based on them; Ethan is more worried about having his allergies act up.

I really think that Ethan was my favorite character from the whole series. He was such a worrywart and so risk-averse. He was the voice of reason who was often drowned out by the more boisterous personalities of his cousin and his brother. But when push came to shove Ethan was very heroic.

Fans of fantasy the include Greek gods will enjoy this entertaining series. This is also a great adventure story with a great variety of personalities in the main characters.

Favorite Quote:
"Follow that car!" I hollered.

I couldn't believe those words had come from my mouth. That's one of those phrases you always hear in action films. If I were to star in a film, it would most likely be a documentary about how to check books out of the library, or a comedy about a shy kid who gets nosebleeds. I'm definitely not action-hero material. I can't even run a mile without starting to wheeze, thanks to my pollen allergy.
I got this ARC from Edelweiss. You can buy your copy here.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know about this series! Sounds great. I'll need to look into it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!