Monday, June 27, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (June 27, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

My second full week of vacation was lovely. The weather was great - warm enough to have the windows open and but not so warm as to need the air conditioning. They are predicting possibly severe weather yet today but we only have gray skies so far.

I spent some of this week working on my blogging calendars and plans. I chose the books I'll be reading for August and prepared the posts as far as I could without having yet read the books. (I have three books to read before my July calendar is filled and scheduled.) All my Teaser Tuesday and Friday Memes are finished and scheduled. I've also made neat stacks of the print books I'll be reading and made sure that the books were on my Kindle if I didn't have the print copy.

I didn't manage to get all the books I brought home on the calendar but comfort myself with the fact that I should have read most of September's books before my vacation ends. I need to get far ahead because the beginning of the school year is not a time to have to stress over reading and reviewing books. 

Read Last Week
The Ministry of SUITs by Paul Gamble was a silly middle grade adventure that should appeal to kids who like that kind of humor. I particularly enjoyed the footnotes. My review will be posted on July 21 for this July 26 release.


Seizure by Kathy Reichs is the second book in the Virals series. It had been sitting on my TBR mountain since Oct. 18, 2011. I really enjoyed it. C'mon! Who doesn't want to read about a treasure hunt for a pirate's buried booty. And, as you can see by looking at my New This Week, added the rest of the series. I will try not to wait six years to read them. My review for Seizure will be posted on July 23.

Leviatian by Scott Westerfeld also spent some time on TBR mountain. I bought it on Oct. 26, 2010. I really enjoyed it and am glad that Behemoth and Goliath also made the trip home with me this summer. I liked the characters, the alternate history, and all the steampunk devices (although I'm not sure that the Darwinist's beasties are as much steampunk as they are science fiction.) My review will be posted on July 27.

Currently
I am reading The Gilded Cage by Lucinda Gray from my review stack. This gothic novel will be released on August 2 and came to me from Macmillan.

Next Week
I dug into TBR mountain for all of the books I plan to read this week.

The Masked Truth by Kelley Armstrong arrived on October 13, 2015 making it a relative newcomer to the stack.

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas is also a newcomer. I got the print book last May and the Kindle book this June.
I also decided to read Forever by Maggie Stiefvater which has been on the stack since 2011 and The Raven Boys also by Stiefvater which has been on the stack since 2012. I have the print versions of each of these, the Kindle versions of each of these, and the SYNC audiobook of The Raven Boys.

Reviews Posted
All the reviews I posted last week were from books on my TBR mountain.
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
  • Code by Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs
  • Terminal by Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs
I also downloaded both of the SYNC audiobooks for this week:
You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

4 comments:

  1. I loved the first two books in the VIrals series. You're right. How can you not love the search for pirate treasure? I see I have some catching up to do. I just finished the last book in Stiefvater's Raven Cycle. I recommend both the print and the audio (preferably in that order).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Cycle books, but my favorite is still The Scorpio Races. I don't read many of the books you shared, just not my favorites, but glad to see some I might enjoy. My students loved Scott Westerfield's books! Thanks, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are SUPER organized! That's impressive.

    Leviathan was great - I still need to read the rest of the series. And I've been wanting to read the Kathy Reichs series.

    And The Raven Boys is wonderful! I just finished The Raven King - the last one in the series. AND, it counts as a Big Book (over 400 pages), so you should consider joining my Big Book Summer Challenge!

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    2016 Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are enjoying the Leviathan series. I think it just gets better. I swoon thinking of The Raven Series. I think it is best as an audiobook, but because Will Patton's narration just captures the essence of the story.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!