Saturday, July 16, 2016

Book Review: Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Carry On
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publication: St. Martin's Griffin (October 6, 2015)

Description: Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen.

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.

Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here--it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.

My Thoughts: I have to start by saying that while I have read FANGIRL it was a long time ago. I didn't remember much about Simon, Baz, Penny and Agatha from that book. For me that story was about Cath and Levi. I also felt that Simon as a Chosen One was eerily similar to another Chosen One of book, movie and theme park fame. However, as I read further and got to know him, I grew to really like Simon Snow.

I liked that this story was told from multiple viewpoints. Seeing how each of their views of each other changed through the course of this book was fascinating. Simon's struggles with his magic and Baz's struggles with his new life and with his growing attraction to his enemy Simon were perfectly clear when viewed through their own eyes and in their own voices.

Everyone's belief that Simon was the answer to a long-held prophecy put great pressure on him. Especially when his own magic was immense but not at all in his control. His hero - the Mage - was a person of mystery. Seeing him through the eyes of those who knew him when he was young and the eyes of someone who loved him helped paint the picture of a man in the grip of an obsession that could destroy the whole magical world.

I liked the romance between Baz and Simon too. It grew steadily throughout the story and came to a satisfying conclusion. I also liked Simon's relationship with his friend Penny.

I might recommend reading FANGIRL before reading this one because I'm sure there were nuances that I missed. But it was a great epic fantasy and romance with achingly real characters and stands quite well on its own.

Favorite Quote:
Sharing a room with the person you hate most is like sharing a room with a siren. (The kind on police cars, not the kind who try to entrap you when you cross the English Channel.) You can't ignore that person, and you never get used to them. It never stops being painful.
I bought this one. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!