Monday, July 11, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 11, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

I had a quiet 4th of July holiday and a quiet week too. We have had some strong thunderstorms in the area with strong winds and damaging hail but the first storm went just north of us and the second storm went just south of us. All we got here in the city of Duluth was some rain and some truly epic thunder.

Read Last Week
Altered by Jennifer Rush had been on my TBR mountain since 2013 before I chose it as part of my summer reading stack. I enjoyed this science fiction thriller and decided I needed to buy the final two books in the series. So much for decreasing the size of my TBR mountain. My review will be posted on August 11.

Exile for Dreamers by Kathleen Baldwin was a new arrival on my TBR mountain. I decided to read it after finishing the first book in this series but now am stuck waiting for the third book in this historical fiction/alternate history series to be published. My review will be posted on August 10.
Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi had been on my TBR mountain since 2010. I enjoyed this dystopian adventure. My review will be posted on August 13.

Code by Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs is the third book in the Virals series. I really like that these books are so filled with action and adventure. I'm sure middle graders will enjoy them. I'm sorry it took me so long to begin this series. My review will be posted on August 17.
Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty was an enjoyable middle grade horror/fantasy title. I had recently purchased this and was looking for something to substitute in when my current review book failed to grab my attention. My review will be posted on August 18.

I had The Secret Sea by Barry Lyga on my review stack. I read the first quarter of the book and decided to abandon it. I wasn't connecting with the characters and found the pacing of the story too slow for me.

Currently
I pulled The Silence of Murder by Dandi Daley Mackall from my TBR mountain for summer reading. I have had this Edgar Award Nominee on my stack since January 25, 2012.

Next Week
Next week I am going to continue reading books from my TBR mountain.
  • Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff arrived October 20, 2015
  • Shadows by Robin McKinley arrived September 27, 2013
  • Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff arrived January 2, 2013
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
Exile for Dreamers by Kathleen Baldwin is the second book in The Stranje House series of alternate history/paranormal novels.

Reborn by Jennifer Rush is the third book in the series that began with Altered.
I also downloaded both of the SYNC free audiobooks this week.
You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

6 comments:

  1. I read Ship Breaker years ago but I don't remember it all that well, I'll look forward to your review to refresh my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paolo Bacigalupi's wife is a former colleague and friend, so I've read many of his books. He's written more and more & they're great. I loved Shipbreaker's imagined world. Glad you didn't get that hail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested to see what you think of Serafina and the Black Cloak. It has been in my to read pile and things just keep getting put on top of it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your review of Serafina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well. You are a very different reader from me! I see some familiar names -- it's been YEARS since I read any Robin McKinley. I, too, am a fan of the SYNC downloads. Dandi Daley McCall hasn't come across my radar since Larger than Life Lara. One thing we have in common for sure is a towering TBR mountain!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone loved Symphony for the City of the dead- I ended up with two ARCs and had to give them away to adults because my students were NOT interested. Lots of good things to read!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!