Monday, July 25, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 25, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

My stretch of quiet weeks ended this week. We had some weather excitement when a line of very strong thunderstorms came through late Wednesday night. We lost power for about 6 hours and are lucky. I'm writing this on Saturday afternoon and there are still substantial parts of Duluth that aren't expected to have power restored until Tuesday afternoon because of so many downed power lines and power poles. We also lost cable access. So I had no TV, house phone or internet until 3:30 on Thursday and it has been dropping off unexpectedly since for hours at a time.

We lost part of a tree in the storm which neighbors have already helped fix by bringing their chainsaws and cutting off the broken portion and cutting up the fallen part into usable chunks for disposal and fire pits. We also lost a large section of shingles and some of the facing from the roof. Insurance adjusters are scheduled to come look early this coming week.

The house hunt continues. I had one I was very interested in that was sold before my agent could get me in to see it. I have started to look for land to build my own here in Duluth. The thing about building though is that it takes so long and I am 250 miles away for most of the next year. It looks like there are lots of stressful decisions in my future.

Read Last Week
Vicarious by Paula Stokes was an interesting psychological mystery with some elements of science fiction. I liked the story very much. My review for this August 16 release will be posted on August 11.

Then I chose a few from my TBR mountain.

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff was also science fiction. This one is a unique reading experience told in memos, IMs, hacked reports, and other interesting graphic presentations of the after-effects of a planetary invasion. My review will be posted on August 24.
Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff is an epic fantasy story that is also post-apocalyptic. Its setting in Japan. I liked that it mined a relatively unused mythology for its base. I also thought it was action-packed and entertaining. My review will be posted on August 25.

Shadows by Robin McKinley was also a fantasy. I enjoyed the main characters adventures as she discovers that she has magic and that what she has been told about it by her government is both wrong and dangerous. My review will be posted on August 27.

Currently
I added The Strange Maid by Tessa Gratton to my TBR mountain on July 21, 2014. I remember enjoying the first book in this series which mines Norse mythology for its fantasy setting.

Next Week
It is time to start tackling the September releases on my Review Stack.
Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
I bought a copy of The Faerie Ring by Kiki Hamilton this week because it sounded good.

I got a PDF review copy of Vicarious by Paula Stokes from her publicist.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

6 comments:

  1. I read Illuminae right before the summer and really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Ender's Game. I'm looking forward to exploring your other choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm looking forward to a new Robin Mckinley novel, I adored her novels when I was growing up but I haven't read them in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like you've had a good reading week, but a not so good week in other ways. Happy house hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lot on your plate - good luck with the house hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh nice! I have my eye on Vicarious! Mostly because the Arch is on the cover! LOL! And ooh I loved Illuminae! Hope you have a good week! Good luck with the house hunt as well!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shadows was very different from many of Robin McKinley's other books. I enjoyed it, but still am a more of a fan of her fairytale retellings.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!