Monday, July 4, 2016

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (July 4, 2016)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme begun by Sheila at Book Journey. Kellee at Unleashing Readers and Jen at Teach Mentor Texts have given it a kidlit focus.

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

Happy 4th of July to my fellow citizens of the USA!

I thought I'd take a quick look back at June before setting my sights on July. I read 30 books which was my goal - a book a day. I read 11,632 pages this month. It was month of big books. I read 2 with over 600 pages (Thank you, Sarah J. Maas), 1 with more than 500 pages, and 10 with more than 400 pages. Most of my YA books were from my TBR mountain which didn't make much of a dent in the pile.

Read Last Week

With a gap in my reviewing schedule, I have been able to read quite a few that have been languishing on TBR mountain.
The Gilded Cage by Lucinda Gray was my only review book this week. It is a creepy Gothic story that will be released on August 2. It had all the elements a good Gothic should have: an innocent but intrepid heroine, a dastardly villain, and a romantic hero. My review will be posted on July 28.

After sitting on my stack since 2011, I finally read Forever by Maggie Stiefvater. I enjoyed this thrilling story told from four viewpoints. I liked the emotional intensity of the story. My review will be posted on July 30.
Talk about emotional intensity! I read A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas this week and loved the story. The characters were so fascinating and the plot was very fast-paced. Those 640 pages just flew by. While nominally YA, I think this is closer to New Adult or Adult fantasy because of the many sex scenes. My review will be posted on August 3.

The Masked Truth by Kelley Armstrong was another book I just couldn't put down. This contemporary thriller which has two main characters who both suffer from mental illness was a fast-paced thrill ride. My review will be posted on August 4.
I read A School for Unusual Girls by Kathleen Baldwin this week and enjoyed this Regency spy story and romance. I immediately ordered the sequel when finishing it because I don't want to let these characters go. My review will be posted on August 6.
I started The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater and set it aside at the 25% mark. I just wasn't engaging with the characters and nothing seemed to be happening in the story. I may try this again when I have more patience and want to work harder at a story than I want to work this summer.

Currently
The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness is next on the stack and is from my TBR mountain. this relatively new arrival landed there on Oct. 6, 2015.

Next Week
Altered by Jennifer Rush is also from my TBR mountain. This one has been on the pile since Jan. 15, 2013.

The Outcasts by John Flanagan is also from my TBR mountain. This has been on the pile since Nov. 1, 2011.
Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi completes the trifecta of books from my TBR mountain this week. It has been sitting since Oct. 27, 2010.

The Secret Sea by Barry Lyga is from my review stack. I got this ARC from Macmillan. The book will be released on August 23.

Reviews Posted

Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?
The only additions to my stack this week were the two SYNC audiobooks.

I already had an unread Kindle copy of Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith but had never heard of The Omnivore's Dilemma (Young Reader's Edition) by Michael Pollan which sounds fascinating. As always, US readers have until through next Wednesday to download them for free.

You can check Inside of a Dog (my other blog) to see what adult books I read, reviewed, and plan to read. 

4 comments:

  1. OOh nice! I STILL need to read A Court of Mist and Fury!! And The Unmasked Truth for that matter! Hope you enjoyed and enjoy all the lovely reads!

    Here's my Monday Wrap-up

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Thanks for the update. I have read the S.J. Maas (and it's currently my favourite read of 2016!) and have been holding off on Forever by Maggie Stiefvater for a long time. I'm looking forward to your review later this month.

    http://bookreviewsbydi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30 books in one month is very impressive!

    I loved A Court of Mist and Fury too. I thought it was better than A Court of Thorns and Roses. I ordered it for my library's teen collection though I do agree with you about content. All the other libraries in our consortium put it in teen instead of adult. I also loved A School for Unusual Girls and am currently reading the sequel. It is really good so far.

    Like you, I didn't finish The Raven Boys. People rave about this series but I tried listening to the audio book and just couldn't get into the story. Maybe I'll try it in print someday.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to stop picking up new books and tackle my TBR mountain. I'm at the point where I'm drowning in books! I loved Patrick Ness's The Rest of Us Just Live Here and am a huge V Schwab fan. Looking forward to this Savage Song.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity. Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!